Columbia ETP Program 2012 entry - Page 10Register Today!
- Thank you BTW, but I'm only as qualified as my essay. That's what they really care about . Focus on that.
- Sep 25, '11 by chiasmus100I don't have any experience except a psych major in college, volunteer at a nursing home and I am applying to the psych track. I might not apply and just stick with ABSN programs.
- I don't think you should throw in the towel.... Psych is considerably less competitive than midwifery, and any volunteer work looks great, play it up. I hope you don't take the less competitive thing wrong, its still an honor to be selected but almost half of the applications for ETP are for midwifery I'm pretty sure.
- Sep 25, '11 by chiasmus100oh really that's reassuring. isn't anesthesia pretty competitive too? Why is midwifery so competitive?
- Yeah, both you need to state your intent for prior to applying, the others are slightly more flexible! DonThere are more preceptors too for psych I think. 't discourage, I think that's where things went wrong last year. Have hope and I'll see you in May when classes begin! Be a light in the darkness. BTW, I cannot tell you how much respect I have for psych, I personally cannot think of a more challenging job with fewer rewards. It takes a saint to even contemplate such a profession.
- Oct 2, '11 by cpsnapHi again!
Finally submitted. Phew! Doula Kerry, congrats on reapplying! Glad to hear that we might know of our decisions as early as the start of December.
- Oct 3, '11 by dedicatedoneCongrats cpsnap! I'm sure that is a load off your shoulders
How is everyone else still doing with the application. I think for some who are applying to multiple programs, it gets easier. Essay is already written, you know your transcripts by heart, and your letters of rec are pretty much in order. Surprisingly...I'm still submitting only a week early. Eek! Life's obstacles have a funny way of getting in your way just when you don't want them to.
- Oct 5, '11 by CUSONPNPHopefulCongrats to those who have submitted! I bet there is a big weight off your shoulders!
I am just about ready to submit my application. I am just putting the finishing touches on the essay. How is everyone feeling? I am excited to be submitting Early Decision. I can't believe we might have a decision in three months! I wonder how many applicant there are for ED? I also am wondering if the GRE is going to effect the number of applicants this year, as there is sort of a deadline for taking the exam in order to submit on time.
I went to an information session and found it extremely interesting and helpful. Columbia is my first choice. Anyone else going for Pediatrics?
- Oct 6, '11 by myelinI'm doing okay. I am putting the finishing touches on my essay and am trying to figure out how to structure my CV. I'm applying for the psych track as well. I'm trying to decide if I need a separate research category for the CV or if I can fit my research experiences in under clinical experience (some of it consisted of interviewing and working with clinical populations). Hmmm.
- Oct 7, '11 by hopefulfor2012Hi everyone!
I'm working on my tightening up my essay and resume all day today..determined to get it all done today to submit! I already submitted an application for another school, and the essay was 2 pages (11 point font), but now Columbia's is 2 pages at 12 point font..so I need to work on cutting it down. Wouldn't it be nice if all the schools actually had the same prompts? haha. I feel like the more I read my personal statement, the more intimidated I get that it isn't impressive enough compared to everyone else's experiences!! Ahh..frustrating, but all we can do is put our best foot forward at this point! Hang in there everyone.
I shadowed a couple FNP's recently, and one went to UCSF and one went to Yale. They both independently said Columbia's program was disorganized, etc. Since Columbia is my top choice, I was really disappointed to hear that. But, I was reading the 2010 and 2011 thread, and it seems like things have really improved, so I'm feeling much better about Columbia!