List of hospitals that hire new grads in picu
- 0Jun 1, '09 by chickidee717I am currently a nursing student and will graduate in a year. My heart is set on working in the picu. I love it. However, i know that many hospitals dont hire new grads into picu. I am scared that if i dont start in picu i will never have the opportunity to make the transition. My question is what specific hospitals will hire new grads into picu? I have googled this with no luck. I live in the south but am willing to move anywhere in the u.s. After graduating. Any hospitals that you guys work at or know of that are willing to have new grads in picu? Thanks for the help!
- 0Jun 3, '09 by Nicole9898I know that many hospitals do hire straight into the PICU and as it is a definite challenge- It is feasible. I started in the PICU at ALL Children's in St. Petersburg, FL 7 years ago. They still hire new grads into the PICU and have a great program called the Versant Program- a 6 month orientation. Let me know if you would like contact information. Hope this helps! Best Wishes- Nicole
- 0Jun 5, '09 by RNNPICUThere are many hospitals that hire new grads in the PICU. DC children's has a new grad program for PICU. ALso George Wahington and Washignton Hospital Center have adult ICU (Medical ICU, Surgical ICU, Neuro ICU, and others) intern programs for new grads. Check out the websites for further details
- 0Jun 5, '09 by PICNICRNI started about 14 years ago in the PICU at Children's Memorial in Chicago- I received the absolute BEST orientation! I cannot say enough about the unit- I moved 7 years later and I still miss it! No other PICU has come close to compare. They still hire new grads- in fact, I think they now have an extern program. Check them out! Good Luck!
- 0Jun 8, '09 by SarahBSN06In California...
San Diego Rady Children's New Grad RN residency
Orange County (Los Angeles Area) CHOC RN residency
Lucile Packard Children's Hospital (@ Stanford Univ., Palo Alto)
You have to apply months in advance to get into these programs, some have 20 spots for 300+ applicants, so plan ahead and watch deadlines!!