adult tele rn to picu?Register Today!
This is a discussion on adult tele rn to picu? in PICU Nursing / Pediatric, part of Critical Care Nursing ... I have been a telemetry/med/surg nurse for over 3 years. I am certified in med-surg. We float to...by teleRN08 Nov 22, '11I have been a telemetry/med/surg nurse for over 3 years. I am certified in med-surg. We float to ICU occasionally as needed. I am thinking of applying for a PICU job a little over 1 hour from my house. I am a bit nervous but really have a desire for PICU. I am currently enrolled in an online MSN program, with a concentration in nursing education. I love to teach and hope to someday have a nurse educator role in a hospital.
Anyone else come from adult tele to the PICU? Advice.
Thanks in advance!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=645051©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 947 Views
- Jan 30, '12 by HopefulRN2010Hey! I just came across this. But I too cam from adult tele/stepdown unit, I was hired to the PICU in August. And while it is def a COMPLETELY different world, and sometimes feel like a new grad all over again. I love it! Yes there are days that compeltely stress me out, but I love it in the end. And peds is SOO much better than the adult work
So just curious did you apply or get hired to the PICU yet?
- Feb 1, '12 by justmeinlvI spent 6 years as a CNA on a med/surg floor, became an RN on the same unit, on day two I had four patients to myself and I did fine. I went to PICU and it was 6 weeks before I had a patient to myself. You have to be on top of everything in PICU. Nothing is pediatrics is simple you have to be really careful with everything you do. For instance something as simple as giving Zofran on a 150 pound teenager you are safe giving it IV push, but go to your 9 pound infant next door and it needs to be on a pump and slowly infused.
I agree with Hopeful RN. I would not go back to the adult world. I often find it interesting how the patients maturity level between adults and kids is the same, but at least with kids its developmentally appropriate.
Its tough in the beginning, but I would do it again in a second.
- Feb 11, '12 by mellyreidWhen I graduated "they" said you should start out in med surg for a few years and then go for your specialty of choice... So I think you will do well! I went straight to PICU though and I have not once regretted it!
- Mar 3, '12 by RaggedyRNI went from tele to PICU and will NEVER go back to adults again. It's a whole new world but I've been in PICU for 6 years and love it. Good Luck to you
- Mar 3, '12 by Ari RNHave worked peds LTC, peds ambulatory and will transfer next month to the PICU. I can't wait to get started!