Scope of Practice in PARegister Today!
- by studentnurse1989 Feb 11Hi everyone!
I was wondering what the scope of practice is for an LPN in Pennsylvania without taking any additional courses after graduation. Which of these would I be allowed to do in a hospital as an LPN?
- change dressings
- subcut. & IM injections
- IV therapy
- IV meds
- hang blood
- d/c surgical drains
- central lines
Thank you so much!Last edit by studentnurse1989 on Feb 11
- Feb 13 by pghnurse527I believe you can do subq/IM injections, IV antibiotics but not IV push or other IV meds, and change non-complicated dressings. I believe the rest requires a RN.
- Feb 13 by studentnurse1989Thank you!
- Feb 14 by michelle126In the LTC setting, LPNs change dressings, give injections, flush IVs (except Picc and central lines) give IV meds except pushes, draw blood and start IVs, dc drains and staples.
RNS do the TPN too and blood infusion (we don't hang blood in my current facility)
- Feb 14 by studentnurse1989Thanks