Recent LPN Grads - How long did it take to find a job?Register Today!
- by Raviepoo Jan 29, '12I'm in school now with an anticipated graduation date in August. I was just wondering, should I start looking for a job before I finish school? Do you get a better offer if you wait until you pass the boards? What did you do? How long did it take you to find your first job?
- Jan 29, '12 by Heavenly4505I don't know what part of the country you're in, but I am near Cincinnati, OH. I did apply for a couple jobs before I graduated/passed boards, but I heard nothing back from those. As soon as I passed the boards, I applied for a job I saw in the newspaper. I was called for an interview a few days later and offered the job on the spot! So I literally had a job within days of passing the boards. Some people have had luck applying prior to graduating. For me, I didn't get any responses when I tried that. By the way, I'm an LPN, too. I graduated April 2011 and passed my boards in late May 2011. I had a job by the first week of June 2011! I've actually been offered and accepted a different job since then (I start Tuesday). It's better hours and a little higher pay. So things have worked out for me, and good luck to you!
- Jan 31, '12 by chucksterQuote from RaviepooThe answer to your first question, at least from the RN perspective, is "yes", look for a job while you are still in school.I'm in school now with an anticipated graduation date in August. I was just wondering, should I start looking for a job before I finish school? Do you get a better offer if you wait until you pass the boards? What did you do? How long did it take you to find your first job?
Though the nursing job market varies somewhat throughout PA, in the Phila area, it is abominable for new grads. The majority of my class from 2010 have not found nursing jobs. Most of those who did find positions were hired by the hospitals/LTC's where they worked as PCT's or CNA's while they were in nursing school.
- Apr 12, '12 by mikeicurnI graduated in May 2011, I started applying the month before graduation. I had a PRN job in ICU (as an RN) before I graduated. I graduated Friday, and started orientation on Mon. I worked under my provisional license until I passed boards in July. I didn't start looking any sooner than 1 month before graduation, because I felt that it would be too soon to start looking. 1 month before graduation worked out perfect for me.
- Apr 20, '12 by John SPNI graduated April 13th and was offered a job today as an Anesthesia Tech at a hospital.