- The past few days have been quite a learning experience.
- Why doesn't the PA BON post this information on their website.
- After talking with three separate LTC Agencies, I've learned that if you have not been a resident of Pennsylvania for the two years prior to employment, you must do the following:
1. Get a PA State Police background check ... costs $10, and can do online (they take credit cards), and the process takes about 10 minutes.
2. Go to the local police dept (the PA State Police don't have the fingerprint cards, at least not here in State College or Hollidaysburg). I paid $30 at Altoona police station for fingerprints.
3. Go to fbi.gov and print out their forms. They take credit cards, just have to fill out another form and sign it.
4. Fill out forms, and mail credit card info (with signature), fingerprint card, and fbi form. Send all this to the FBI down in West Virginia. Wait 6 to 12 weeks for an answer.
5. Take the information from the PA State Police search, and the FBI search to the agency and then you can work.
- I thought you had to go through the PA Dept of Aging to do this, but nope. You go through the FBI directly, at least for the nursing home bit. I am an RN (took NCLEX-RN in PA), but have only lived here 2 months, not 2 years.
- Hospitals do not have this requirement.
- However, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, wants you to have the same two types of certifications that are required for teachers. (fingerprints and child abuse clearance).
- Does the b.s. ever end? I love calling three different places and getting three different answers. Argggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!