Pediatric Visiting NurseRegister Today!
- by littlemammanurse Aug 28, '12So I am doing community visiting nursing with pediatrics and want to know what I should carry in my nurses bag at all times?I have a pediatric stethoscope and blood pressure cuff but want to be prepared for every situation.Any advice on what to bring with me?
- Aug 28, '12 by KelRN215What types of patients are you visiting?
My bag has: infant, child and adult BP cuffs, stethoscope, thermometer, hand sanitizer, alcohol wipes, sterile 2x2s, 10 cc syringes, lavender top and PST tubes, butterfly needles, tourniquets.
Do you get your assignments in advance? If so, you should know beforehand if there's anything out of the ordinary that you will need. In my area, children who need additional supplies (central line dressing kits, syringes/needles, sharps boxes, etc), have a supply company that provides this. The majority of my patients are oncology patients and they tend to have all supplies (with the exception of lab tubes) in the home.
- Aug 28, '12 by MayBooQuote from littlemammanurseA temporal thermometer is a great help with kids. they are not cheap but worth it. A portable pulse ox is nice too.So I am doing community visiting nursing with pediatrics and want to know what I should carry in my nurses bag at all times?I have a pediatric stethoscope and blood pressure cuff but want to be prepared for every situation.Any advice on what to bring with me?
A GPS for your car is a must.
- Aug 29, '12 by littlemammanurseThank you for the advice. Yes I do get some advance notice for my pediatric patients and sometimes I get a new admission the day of and don't have much time to prepare. I definitely want to be prepared for every situation I may run into. I do have a few supplies in my car as well as my GPS I will definitely be stocking up my nurses bag that I bring into the home when I visit. Thanks for the replies!!!
- Aug 29, '12 by NeoPediRNI carry a precautions bag, heparin/NS flushes, temporal and axillary thermometers, scale covers, notepad and pen for admissions, lab supplies, disinfectant wipes