Feeding after vomitingRegister Today!
- by Jeanette73 May 17, '10Let's say you fed a baby and they coughed up the whole feeding. (Not vomiting, just had a coughing fit and the feeding came back up.) How long would you wait to refeed?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=480002©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 894 Views
- May 25, '10 by smurfynurseyI can't attest to what is done at hospitals...however I worked at a pedi LTAC and whenever we had a kiddo gag/wretch/vomit, the tube feed was put on hold for 30 minutes. hope that helped.
- May 25, '10 by Jeanette73Thanks. I was looking specifically for info on oral feeding.
- May 26, '10 by HRM672An otherwise healthy baby who just had a coughing fit? When they act hungry but at least 30 mins is what I would do.
- May 27, '10 by noreenlI would also see if this is a frequent occurance or a one time event. sometimes it may be nothing but sometimes it is a hint to keep looking. My little brother had adenoid problems as a n infant and he would cough and choke so much that he would cause himself to vomit. once the tonsils and adenoids were removed no more episodes! FYI!!!