? About Sacral DimpleRegister Today!
- by Schmoo1022 Apr 14, '06hello,
I am not looking for medical advice or anything, just a little insight. I noticed my newborn son has a sacral dimple, not an extremely deep one, but still concerning. The first ped that I showed, felt there was no need to do anything about it. His regular Ped ordered an U/S for next week. I am freaking out. My question is how often does the dimple mean something deeper is going on?? I have seen different info on the web about this, from not significant if it's not really deep, to it could be quite serious..
I am so freaking out over this, even though my Ped seemed to be ordering the U/S to put my mind at ease...I hope anyway.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=153246©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 38,341 Views
- Apr 14, '06 by jaslo98Both of my daughters had the same thing. They were born in different hospitals and had different doctors, and both times the doctors were not at all concerned and the dimples turned out to be nothing. In fact as they grew and filled out, they eventually disappeared. With my second daughter, I expressed concern at the hospital and then again at her first check up with the family doctor. The famliy doctor said the only thing that could be a problem is that it was a possible infection risk, but if it was anything else (like spina bifida or something) that we would already be seeing symptoms of that and of course we weren't seeing any symptoms of anything. They were both perfectly healthy. I am glad your doctor is going a head with a U/S. It will definitely put your mind at ease, and I hope and pray that everything turns out well for your baby!!
- Apr 14, '06 by michelle126No medical advice here, but my story. For some odd reason...I didn't do the normall new mom thorough check out of my daughter (#3) I have to say it was the drugs! Anyway....the next day I get her home and freak out.....it looks like she has a second butt crack. LOL. Of course I was thinking all types of things! Doc said that it should fill in, but they coudl do an ultrasound latter to look into it if it doesn't change.
She is fine now and 2 yrs old.
- Apr 14, '06 by EricJRNQuote from jaslo98I'm glad everything worked out okay, but how long ago was a physician telling someone this?but if it was anything else (like spina bifida or something) that we would already be seeing symptoms of that and of course we weren't seeing any symptoms of anything.
These days, we know that spina bifida occulta (the type associated with sacral dimples) often doesn't show any signs until adolescence or adulthood when the cord has a chance to tether.
- Apr 14, '06 by prmenrshttp://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sacral-dimple/ds00753
found by google'ing "sacral dimple".Last edit by NRSKarenRN on Oct 6, '06 : Reason: fixed link
- Apr 14, '06 by Schmoo1022Thanks for the replies. They will be able to see if there is any problems now though w/ an U/S right? Also, I think the concern is there is some hair in the dimple ,which I guess is not a good sign. My son is quite hairy at this time though..all fuzzy over back, legs, butt.
- Apr 20, '06 by Jeanette73My son who is now 6 was born with a sacral dimple, and the ped advised getting an ultrasound. I had to wait until he was 6 weeks old to do the ultrasound, and of course those weeks were filled with panic and reading everything I could find on the internet about spina bifida occulta etc. etc. Fortunately the ultrasound showed nothing unusual. What they're looking for is if the vertebra failed to close.
- Apr 21, '06 by Schmoo1022Hi ChayaN
I was just wondering how deep was the dimple ans was there a tuft of hair? Our U/S is Tues..I am a wreck!
- Apr 21, '06 by Jeanette73When he was an infant it was deep, with a few hairs. Not a thick tuft. Now it's just a small indentation, about the size of a fingertip.
The doctor reassured me about a million times that most likely there's nothing wrong and the u/s is just a precaution. Still I was panicking... The hardest part was that before I became pregnant I had been taking a medication that's known to cause spinal defects. I had stopped the drug and the doctor told me it was safe to become pregnant, but I was so afraid that I had caused this. Thank G-d everything was fine.
Good luck on the u/s - they should be able to tell you right away if there's a problem.
- Apr 21, '06 by Schmoo1022I am such a mess. My sons is pretty deep with a tuft of hair. My son is pretty hairy everywhere right now though. I can see the bottom of the dimple.
I wasn't trying to conceive at the time so I wasn't taking any prenatal vitamins until after I found out I was pregnant. So, I feel pretty guilty about that.