Looking for job/have prior nursing school educationRegister Today!
- by crenee02 Aug 6, '12Hello
I am currently looking for a position as patient care tech (Names of positions vary according to hospital). I previously attended nursing program and finished 21 hrs but quit because it was getting too expensive to stay (student loans). I was and am unemployed. I have experience working in hospital environment. I am also doing volunteer work at 2 different hospitals in St. Louis area. I was wondering if the volunteer work will help me find job in hospital area. In St. Louis there is at least 6 people for every job here. I hope what I am doing will increase my chances of finding a job. I am currently on linkedin and I hope that also helps.
- Aug 6, '12 by k_girl153Volunteer experience can sometimes help you depending on the hospital. My moms best friend is head of hr at the biggest hospital where I live and they don't really consider it experience since there is very little or no pt contact.
When did you quit NS? Were you close enough to any of your old instructors to feel comfortable using them as a reference?
If no you could apply at a smaller hospital or ltc facilities. Home health companies might be a good place too if you have your CNA license. They would all be good starting off points.
- Aug 6, '12 by crenee02I will be having patient contact in both volunteer jobs. I don't have CNA license but finished nursing fundamentals with an A and that counts as CNA course. I finished this past march.
- Aug 8, '12 by k_girl153I would apply to take the CNA licensure test since you are out of school. At the hospitals here, some will only hire you if you have your license. Others will hire you if you've completed one clinical rotation in NS AND you are still a nursing student. If you drop out or fail out of school they will give you a certain amount of time to get your CNA license. If you don't receive it they will let you go. I would definitely check your local facilities.
- Aug 18, '12 by futurenurseya33Try St Lukes hospital. They hired me with on Fundamentals as a basis and everyone says that they are a great place to work. I just started last week.