Is your Facility 'forcing' you to get the Flu Vaccine?Register Today!
This is a discussion on Is your Facility 'forcing' you to get the Flu Vaccine? in Pandemic Flu, part of General Nursing ... My company have a new policy that if you do not want to receive the flu vaccine this year by end...by madwife2002 Asst. Admin Oct 13, '12My company have a new policy that if you do not want to receive the flu vaccine this year by end November, then you have to wear a mask within 6 feet of all patients.
So they are not saying you have to have the flu vaccine but if you don't then you have to wear a mask at all times!
The local hospital was on the news this week saying if staff refuse to get the flu shot then their contract will be terminated. As we work in an at will state then this apparently is legal.
I chose to take the flu shot, but the rest of the staff feel they are being bullied into doing it. For me it is just not possible to wear a mask 24/7 when with the patients.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=791860©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- Oct 13, '12 by LetsGoMets31I wonder if we work at the same facility. My facility just instituted this policy as well. I took the flu shot, but don't usually, and really don't want to continue to do so every year! Several of my coworkers feel "bullied" as well and are looking into finding ways around it...management is claiming it's a new Joint Commission standard!?
- Oct 13, '12 by dirtyhippiegirlThere is a whole subforum dedicated to this topic. I believe it gets brought up at least a dozen times each flu season.
- Oct 13, '12 by mjs2118YES.. At my facility, if you do not get your annual flu shot, you do not get your annual merit increase.. :/
- Oct 13, '12 by TheCommuterYes, my workplace is mandating that all employees receive flu shots this season. I have never received a flu shot (and do not really want to receive one), but there's always a first time for everything.
- Oct 13, '12 by ~*Stargazer*~Whether you receive the flu vaccine or not is protected health information. It could be argued that by requiring you to mask if you have not had the vaccine, your employer is violating your privacy.
- Oct 13, '12 by CorazonDeOroLast year we had the mask option, this year that is not a choice. Its flu shot or fired (unless you have a documented religious or medical reason with some long form to fill out).
- Oct 13, '12 by llgQuote from ~*Stargazer*~Not really. It falls into the same category as requiring you to get other immunizations (e.g. varicella, rubella, mumps, hep C, etc.), tetanus shot, your annual TB test, etc. They are allowed to establish such things as conditions of employment and have been doing so successfully for decades.Whether you receive the flu vaccine or not is protected health information. It could be argued that by requiring you to mask if you have not had the vaccine, your employer is violating your privacy.
- Oct 13, '12 by Sweet_Wild_RoseThis is the first year we've been mandated to get it or have a religious/medical exemption claimed (with a due date; there are some who missed the due date) or be fired. Last year they offered flu shot or mask, but not this year. I'd rather have the option of a mask, although I do get the flu shot because of some family members' health issues, just because of the whole free will/choice of what people allow to be injected into their bodies.
- Oct 13, '12 by erinmarie320At our nursing school we must have it to get into the program. If we don't get them every year while in school, we are automatically booted out, with very few exceptions. It is unfortunate for those of us who might otherwise choose not to get the flu vaccine, but such is life I guess.