Nurses fired for refusing flu vaccine - Page 3Register Today!
- Jan 4 by Woodenpug"The swine flu vaccination in 1976 may have caused rare cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome. However, the swine flu and the regular flu vaccines used today have not resulted in more cases of the illness." from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001704/
You may actually increase your chances of GB by not getting the flu vaccine, since a flu infection is a precipitating factor for GB.Last edit by JustBeachyNurse on Jan 4 : Reason: remove HTML/formatting
- Jan 4 by NurseOnAMotorcyclehttp://news.yahoo.com/nurses-fired-refusing-flu-shot-224637902--abc-news-health.html
An Indiana hospital has fired eight employees, including at least three veteran nurses, after they refused mandatory flu shots, stirring up controversy over which should come first: employee rights or patient safety.Last edit by sirI on Jan 4 : Reason: edited for copyright purposes
- Jan 4 by Flaremy facility to fire everyone that didn't get one - but in the end it looked like it was same as last year - mandated flu shots and those that refused were forced to wear masks in patient areas. Never noticed anyone wearing a mask though and did notice that everyone had the same sticker on their badge
- Jan 4 by Szasz_is_RightQuote from Laidback AlFrom pg. 13 of your first link:Instead parroting hearsay about preservative, adjuvants, etc. in influenza vaccines, I urge everyone to educate themselves to make informed decisions. Here are links to the package inserts for all of the approved vaccines for the 2012-2013 season.
Package Insert - AFLURIA (PDF - 230KB)
Thimerosal, a mercury derivative, is not used in the manufacturing process for the single dose presentations; therefore these products contain no preservative. The multi-dose presentation contains thimerosal, added as a preservative; each 0.5 mL dose contains 24.5 mcg of mercury.
- Jan 4 by GrnTeaQuote from ChristineNYes I get that my employer doesn't care about me and my health. I care about what goes into my body. Has anyone on here ever looked at the ingredients in the flu shot? Most contain mercury, which is not something I am thrilled about putting in my body. Some contain other forms of preservatives as well.
Sorry, mercury is old, old, OLD news. Hasn't been used in vaccines for more than a decade, although you'd never know it to read the antivaccine blogs.
As for the rest, vaccines come in single-dose vials and do not contain preservatives. If you are concerned, ask to watch yours being drawn up.
- Jan 4 by imintroubleHad I not been a nurse, I would have happily spent my entire life refusing flu shots. This year I was forced by my facility, as a condition of my employment. Actually I could have worn a mask for 4 months and refused. Not really a choice as far as I'm concerned.
First we could refuse.
Then refuse and wear a mask.
I think the future is vaccine, or be fired.
- Jan 4 by MulanQuote from olddraggerOkay, I'll bite.
As far as hospitals making the flu shot mandatory--why do you think this is all of a sudden mandatory? The flu shot has been available for a more than a decade. What changed? Why, all of a sudden hospitals decided to do this? If you think it is for patient protection--does that mean that during all those previous years the hospitals were not interested in patient protection?
Really think about this Nurses--dont just react to it.