Nurse: 'I was fired for refusing flu shot' - page 25
60,547 Views | 266 Comments
... Read More
- 0Dec 13, '12 by Kooky KorkyQuote from Laidback AlI'm not sure we can necessarily separate one thing from another so completely. We are full-range people, Al. And this topic, about being forced to have shot into your body something that you do not wish to take and which could be harmful and which might not even afford any benefit to you - well, that type of topic calls out political and religious feelings and beliefs.Everyone is entitled to their own viewpoints and beliefs.
There is no doubt that there are major social and political issues in the USA and other countries around the world, but resolution of many of these political and social problems will only occur when educated populations have the right to make informed choices in a free and open voting system.
However, this thread, and others like it in this forum, only deal with efficacy of vaccination and whether or not employers have a right to mandate vaccinations. These threads are not appropriate for religious or political proselytizing.
For people that have strong feelings about these greater issues, creating polemic posts in vaccinations threads is not the way to try to effect social change. You need to take up the crusade with your family, friends, and other concerned citizens in a larger and more public arena then a discussion forum such as allnurses.
I'm not proselytizing any more than anyone else. I stated my views. You stated yours. We both remain unchanged.
- 0Dec 21, '12 by NRSKarenRN AdminMedscape Today
Influenza Resp Viruses. 2011;5(6):382-388.
Helena C. Maltezou, Athanassios Tsakris
Vaccination of Health-care Workers Against Influenza
Our Obligation to Protect Patients
...Annual vaccination of HCWs is an important preventive measure for nosocomial influenza and is consistently recommended by public health bodies worldwide. The rational behind this recommendation is to protect vulnerable patients from contracting influenza within a health-care setting....
Vaccination of HCWs is important not only in order to protect HCWs and their families from occupationally acquired influenza infections but also for the preservation of the essential health-care infrastructure during the winter months..
The implementation of vaccination programs for HCWs has been associated with less cases of seasonal influenza, less cumulative days of influenza-like illness and absence from work, and a reduction in the total number of nosocomial influenza cases. On the other hand, outbreaks have occurred in the context of low coverage. Vaccination in long-term care facilities reduces all-cause mortality, influenza-like illness, and hospitalizations among residents...
There is a need to consistently communicate to HCWs the benefits of influenza vaccination. The message that by taking five minutes to get vaccinated provides HCWs the most convenient and effective measure against nosocomial influenza for the entire influenza season. The only option remaining for those who refuse vaccination should be the consistent use of masks during clinical practice for the duration of the influenza season. Public health bodies, health-care institutions, and HCWs themselves have the moral obligation to ensure a safe environment for both patients and employees. This obligation has been at the core of health-care since antiquity...
- 0Dec 27, '12 by morte11:44 am by olddragger "Sigh" Again where is the actual evidence? They can't quote any, because it doesn't exist. The old "fear" factor. YOU wouldn't want to hurt your patients so you have to do this or else. Just decreases their credablity on anything. Apparently they don't read the NYT.
- 1Dec 28, '12 by Esme12 Asst. AdminA PLoS study has documented that, given enough vaccine injections, everyone will develop an autoimmune disorder. The study was performed on mice developed for their ability to withstand such chronic disease. It found that the immune systems of all these autoimmune disease-resistant mice become deranged by the time they’re given an eighth injection of antigens alone. That is, injection of adjutants was not required to cause autoimmunity. Antigen injection alone was enough to cause autoimmune diseases.
- 0Dec 29, '12 by Esme12 Asst. AdminAs a sufferer of an auto-immune disorder...I found it on the American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association site (AARDA):: American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association, Inc ::
- 0Jan 1, '13 by Laidback AlQuote from Esme12Just more anti-vaccine propaganda from a conspiracy site twisting the results of a published article.A PLoS study has documented that, given enough vaccine injections, everyone will develop an autoimmune disorder. The study was performed on mice developed for their ability to withstand such chronic disease. It found that the immune systems of all these autoimmune disease-resistant mice become deranged by the time they’re given an eighth injection of antigens alone. That is, injection of adjutants was not required to cause autoimmunity. Antigen injection alone was enough to cause autoimmune diseases.
At the gaia-health site, anti-vaccers have reinterpreted the purposes of the article and twisted the results to suit their own conspiracy theories. The article was proposing a theory about autoimmunity and as stated, the authors “propose here ‘self-organized criticality theory’ explaining the cause of autoimmunity”. It was definitely not a confirmatory study documenting or demonstrating that “given enough vaccine injections, everyone will develop an autoimmune disorder" as stated in the quote posted by Esme12. This is an anti-vaccer reinterpretation of the paper.
In fact, the only reference in the article to vaccines or vaccinations is this passage “ . . . Living organisms are constantly exposed to a broad range of environmental antigens, as exemplified by the recent re-emergence of measles virus infection among a subpopulation of Japanese young adults who were not vaccinated against the virus. . .”
Instead of accepting anti-vaccer propaganda on conspiracy sites, I urge everyone to read the original article themselves and make their own informed decision. Here is the link: PLOS ONE: Self-Organized Criticality Theory of Autoimmunity
- 0Jan 3, '13 by Esme12 Asst. AdminLaidbackAl........as stated in the quote posted by Esme12.
I am not an anti-vaccer per-say...my kid are vaccinated.......except for the flu......but I am a sufferer of a severe rare auto-immune disorder and I wonder....how much has my life long job played into my disease. I am DES daughter....Diethylstilbestrol.... another SAFE medicine guaranteed by the government......oops. How much has the injection of the animals we eat, the enginerring of teh veggies we eat ....has damaged us and our immune systems.
I was around for the..... oops...... Swine flu vaccine of years ago and watched co-workers suffer through Gillian Barre syndrome and became ill myself? .....another documented oops....another coincidence??? or the forced sterilization by the government with the last one performed in Oregon in 1981......
Do I trust the government? NO. Have I received all these immunizations my self? Yes....every single one including yearly infection of TB tests......several Hep B (they now recommend 2) for I am a non converter..........do I think they have harmed me? Yes. will anyone admit it? No...not in my lifetime.
I think we should have the right to choose. We are a "free" society. We have the right guaranteed by the constitution for my right to choose and my right to refuse. I know the constitution doesn't guarantee these rights free of prosecution but it does guarantee the right of freedom against persecution.
The hospitals don't care. If they did they would mandate all who enter to be vaccinated. Why does the rest of the population have the right to refuse but medical personnel do not....they hospital doesn't care about the staff spreading the flu they are trying to minimize sick time.....
I try to remain out of these arguments for both sides are passionate about their beliefs. just wanted to correct that it wasn't my quote.....it was a quote from the article.