Ouch. My ribs hurt. What to do?
- 0Apr 10, '05 by Blackcat99I have hurt my ribs. The left side of my ribs hurt from having to lift and turn heavy patients. I got a rib belt and it helps a little. If anyone has any suggestions to stop rib pain it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much
- 34,036 Visits
- 0Apr 11, '05 by Salty1Quote from Blackcat99I would agree with Z's Playa. Was the onset of pain sudden or gradual over a period of time? I note it is confined to the area of the left rib cage. I too, would suspect intercostal irritation. What is the level of pain (1-10), character of the pain? Is the pain intermittent or steady? If you are having difficulty sleeping it is often helpful to sleep with the torso elevated at about a 45 degree angle such as in a recliner chair. This position is often recommended to patient's post MVA with "cracked" ribs.I have hurt my ribs. The left side of my ribs hurt from having to lift and turn heavy patients. I got a rib belt and it helps a little. If anyone has any suggestions to stop rib pain it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much
- 0Apr 13, '05 by Blackcat99Thanks so much Z's playa and salty. Yes it is intercostal pain. I have been taking Motrin and rubbing pain ointments on it. The pain is intermittent. It sometimes feels like someone has stabbed me with a knife. I'm going to buy a big foam wedge for my bed so I can elevate my torso. Thanks :kiss
- 0Apr 13, '05 by CrunchRNI think you are not getting many answers due to the liability issue. Have you seen an MD? I know you probably feel you do not need to, but most people will not be comfortable giving advice to you until anything worrisome has been ruled out. Good luck and i hope you are better soon.
- 0Apr 22, '05 by Blackcat99My left rib pain came back again and it hurts so bad. I went to the doctor and they charged me $390. I have no insurance. They took my blood, urine and xrays of kidney,ureters and bladder. They said my blood and urine results are fine. They will know the results of my x-rays tonight or tomorrow. He gave me a prescription for 2 dulcolax and a fleets enema. He said my x-ray said I was full of it. Anyway, if it is just constipation I wanted to let everyone know about this. If you are having left rib pain try some dulcolax and enemas before you pay $390.