What is it like being a Pre-op nurse?Register Today!
- by Lael Jul 20, '12Hi, I'm a new nurese thinking of going to the hospital to do pre-op nursing. Is there anyone out there that can tell me a little about what it's like and what they do day-to-day there?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=760347©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 2,382 Views
- Jul 20, '12 by workingharderI did Pre-op for a while and it's not bad. Typically I would arrive about 05:45, get my bays prepped, check if I had enough supplies (I always got my supplies ready at the end of shift the day before but, if there were emergency surgeries the previous night we could come up short). At about 06:00 we started admitting patients. Vitals were taken, H&P were accounted for, consents were verified or obtained, the patient was given OR dress and instructions, NPO status was verified as well as any medications being taken. We'd check their chart for blood-work, ECG, or any new orders. Almost everyone gets an IV tapped and LR or saline KVO and the orthopedist always insisted on a piggy back antibiotic. After the surgeon and anesthesia talks with the patient we would turn on the TV, apply TEDS when needed and make sure they were comfortable. Then it was on to the next patient.
Really, it's a lot different from working the floor. There are actually times when you can sit down and relax, chart, and eat but, for about six to seven hours you can really be running.
- Jul 20, '12 by LaelWow, that sounds like an easy-going job. What are you hours like? Are they 8, 10 or 12? Do you have on-call or weekends ever?
- Jul 20, '12 by workingharderWe typically worked 06:00-14:30 M-F although, many days went 9-11 hrs. Yes, there was on call but, where I worked you needed to be able to handle PACU as well to be put on call.
- Jul 20, '12 by LaelHrm, 9-11 hrs still doesn't sound bad if your getting off between 3-5 at the latest. Here is copy/paste of the job I am considering.
Registered Nurse (RN) Pre-Op Education 99429 US-AK-Fairbanks 3/12/2012 Day Registered Nurses/Externs - Positions Fairbanks Memorial Hospital PACU/OPS Full-Time-FA Varied 40 COREHTF No .. Overview: Position Available:
Monday - Friday
Variable Hours and Days
PREP nurses provide detailed patient teaching with emphasis on preparing for surgery, immediate post operative expectations and care, as well as planning recuperation at home.
Surgery procedures include all procedures with the exception of hearts and neuro and service six operating rooms and averages 25 cases per day.
Staff are highly competent and include many certified RNs providing the safest nursing care while utilizing the latest technology
- Sep 23, '12 by firemantoddswifeThat looks like a GREAT job. Wondering if it may be a Pre-Assessment Testing versus Pre-Op Job.