Are Use Of Screws Used In ThrRegister Today!
- by bahackett May 17, '05Are Screws Routinly Used To Fasten Acetabular Componet In THR ?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=105323©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,159 Views
- May 17, '05 by Bull's eyeQuote from bahackettIt depends on the system used and surgeon preference. I will when I am done.Are Screws Routinly Used To Fasten Acetabular Componet In THR ?
- May 26, '05 by CLW6.5mm cancellous screws are routinely used to secure a solid fixation of the acetabular cup. I haven't been involved in a Total Hip in the last 15 years where cement has been used. Believe me, with all the torque and pressure put on the metal cup, you want that acetabular replacement screwed in.
- May 26, '05 by hollysterThe joint would be too unstable without the screws.
- May 30, '05 by Bull's eyeQuote from hollysterNot true. While cementing is frowned upon, press fit cups with sharp ridges to keep it stable are used in certain systems.The joint would be too unstable without the screws.
- Jun 16, '05 by mcmike55I work in a small rural hosptial, but, over the years, I've done and seen a number of total hips.
Different systems, Zimmer, Depuy, etc have their own strengths and weaknesses.
Also, as with any surgery, pt selection is critical.
Over the past several years, different ortho docs that have come through, seem to me, to be using less and less screws in the cups.
Frankly, between bone cement and improvements in the cups, bio-ingrowth and all, cement/press fit seem to work just fine.
Never say never of course, the rep brings in the acetabular stuff when we do total hips, and I know he still brings screws along....just in case.