OHSU acceptances/alternates - Page 3Register Today!
- May 26, '12 by lastchance56Applied to ABSN/OHSU main pdx campus and 3 year Klamath Falls, Westminister in Utah, Oklahoma City University in OKC [where i happen to be right now, checking out the school], Delaware and local Chemeketa. Didn't get into ABSN/Pdx due to too low gpa: hey who knew when you were out on your own at 18, working 2 jobs to survive and going to school, getting 3.28, that it would come back to haunt you 25+ yrs later? First BSN was 3.52 and current is 3.92 at Chemeketa where I did my nursing pre-reqs. Was accepted at Westminster, OCU, and....surprisingly, OHSU Klamath Falls! Haven't heard from Chemeketa yet. It is SWEET to have a CHOICE! I also looked into Univ of Penn, Duke, Columbia, etc. but gosh it costs a fortune and honestly, when the rubber hits the road, I'm not sure an RN or BSN from a more expensive 'prestige' school will affect salaries right now. There are just too many people looking for work, willing to take lower salaries. Now, if you want to move up into a master's, NP or such, then yes, probably helps.
I've decided, once I've seen the schools, to base it on cost, accessibility of the staff and ratings on the web. Unlike probably 90% of you, I'm an older student and I don't have 20 years to pay back loans. Due to job lost/house foreclosure, I don't qualify for a lot of government loans so have to resort to commercial lending and dreading the thought. But still, $25-$30 I can live with. If I do the 3 years, I can work in the summers and probably part time to help out.
It's been a tough 2 years since the lay off, once I began my pre-reqs while working full-time, knowing my grades would determine my last career. Thank the Lord I have a choice, but, I'd have gone wherever I got in, if I only got into one school and figured out the money later.
- May 26, '12 by lastchance56oh and the lay off has turned out to be a big blessing in disguise. I finally am able to fulfill my childhood dream. I've done the CNA and loved it so know I'm on the right path. And the house foreclosure/Deed in Lieu cleared my debts. So I don't own much but I don't owe anything yet. Truly a blessing.
- May 30, '12 by buttercupp85I talked to my advisor today, and she said alternate students got their calls from OHSU about right when school ended here. So around June 15th or 16th. So I'll stop stalking every phone call from a 503 number...for now.
- May 30, '12 by ReidTime to settle in and enjoy the wait.
Thanks for the info!
- Jun 8, '12 by buttercupp85So this morning... I got a call from OHSU! They offered me a spot in Ashland. I'm so freaking excited! Good luck to everyone else and don't give up hope!
- Jun 8, '12 by portland medicSo Im sitting down to watch Prometheus at the theatre today, a movie I've been waiting for for over 3 years, as i am a huge fan of rhe alien films. And just as I'm about to turn my phone off, I get a call from a 503 number I don't recognize. I decided to answer, and oh how happy it made me. OHSU offered me a spot on the Portland campus and I accepted. Wooooohoooooo!!!!!! Soooooooo excited!!!!!!!!
- Jun 8, '12 by ReidCongratulations, portland medic! How long ago did you get the call?
- Jun 8, '12 by nwnursingPortland Medic,
That is just great. Congratulations!
- Jun 8, '12 by tyvinQuote from buttercupp85Congratulations! I graduated from OHSU/OSU. You're going to be so lucky if the professors I had are still there (they are). You are going to learn so much. It's the best BSN program on this planet IMO. Ashland is so mellow. I almost turned vegetarian living in that town. It's great and good luck.So this morning... I got a call from OHSU! They offered me a spot in Ashland. I'm so freaking excited! Good luck to everyone else and don't give up hope!
FYI...I don't know if they fixed it yet but after you graduate and you want transcripts it's going to be 2 sets...1 from OHSU and the other from OSU. The bachelor's degree is from OSU.
- Jun 8, '12 by happiness123Congrats buttercup!!! That's so exciting!