ITT Portland InformationRegister Today!
This is a discussion on ITT Portland Information in Oregon State Nursing Programs, part of Oregon Nursing ... Hi! I have LOTS of info that people seem to be searching for.....After reading ALL of the posts in...by lovejen Nov 17, '10Hi! I have LOTS of info that people seem to be searching for.....After reading ALL of the posts in regard to ITT Portland RN program AND doing a TON of research via calls and internet, I too decided to try to get into one of the top 30 spots. I am posting here because in doing my reasearch to make the best possible educated decision for myself, I needed LOTS of information. Now I want to share my experience.
This was THE EASIEST process ever! The hard part was waiting to get the letter. I literally called the school for seminar info in August 2010, took the HESI on 09/01/10 and got the acceptance letter 10/29/10. I start the course the week of 12/06/10.
ACCREDITATION and RN-BSN:After taking the HESI, I did A LOT of research. I spoke with a rep @ Linfield as well as the previous ITT program chair Justina and the current program chair Ilene. BOTH chair's were MORE than helpful and extremely informative. I CONFIRMED that there are articulation agreements in place w/ Walla Walla University as well as Linfield for BSN studies. Many BSN programs want you to have graduated from an NLN accredited school. ITT is in candidacy status as per the NLN website. You will find this on the NLN website under ITT in INDIANA. ITT's corporate headquarters are based there. Hence, candidacy there. I did verify that students who attend during candidacy status are grandfathered in as grads of the NLN accredidation once ITT is OFFICIALLY accredited.
HESI A2 Testing:This test was EASY!! Only math/english grammar/reading comprehesion/vocabulary are on this test. Not the science/physics/chemistry portions. The main math study points are: ratio/proportions; metric mesurements; ALL facets of fractions (add, subtract, mult., divide), and EXTREMELY BASIC algebra. Calculator is not necessary for this test (unless you don't know your multiplication facts.) Calculator and scrap paper materials ARE PROVIDED. You cannot bring anything to the test.
COST OF ATTENDENCE:EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE for an associates degree!!! $518/credit hour. If you have your basic general ed pre-reqs completed through PCC or MHCC or other; you will save upwards of $17k. So do the pre-reqs prior IF YOU CAN...ITT does 3 cycles of financial aid while you are in attendance. So IF YOU QUALIFY>>> 3 Pell FULLGrants ($16650 FREE $$); $32500 of FEDERALLY BACKED LOAN MONEY. All together that totals $49150.00... AS OF TODAY 11/17/10, the cost of attendence is $54687 (included kit fee, ONE TIME admin fee, etc). So... you see! The difference is $5537! You are thinking where I am going to get that money?! ITT has a GREAT $3000 Scholarship available to INDEPENDANT students. If you have a 0 EFC on your financial aid/FAFSA, DO THIS! It is a matter of completing an application and turning it in. And there are MANY scholarships available. You can reasearch ITT's scholarship info on their website (as I did). The other thing ITT does that makes it easy for you to get signed up and started is a credit program with the school. They can help you with pushing off your balance until yuou graduate. You OF COURSE want to apply as much money as you can to the bill, but they made it possible for me to start with NO UPFRONT/OUT-OF-POCKET costs. I have a carry over... I will get the scholarship as well as apply my employers tution-reimbursement plan toward that balance to knock it out before the next financial aid cyle. ITT gave me credit so I don't have to borrow more than I need for the cost of attendence.
With the cost of this attendence, you have to think about what is best for your family and yourself... Do you want to pay more now and get school done? OR do you want to wait and try to get into one of the Portland area schools?Also, with nursing tuition, there are TONS of programs that will pay your tuition back once you are done with schoo. For example, HRSA Grant... If you work in a critical need area (NOT THE PDX METRO AREA) and you are a full time staff member, this federal loan forgiveness is available.
SCHEDULE:At this point, school is 2 days a week. Very convenient if you have a flexible employer. I currently work for Legacy Health Systems and my boss was able to work around my schedule temporarily and through the first term. I am happy with that.
FUTURE EMPLOYMENT: Most companies want an RN from an NLN accredited school (which INCLUDES ITT). The state of Oregon is extremely rigid in its accreditation and licensing requirements Nursing programs. I am sure the education will the very good as per Oregon standards. I know Legacy has a NEW GRAD internship program for new RN grads... The requirements are 3.5 GPA as well as obtaining your BSN within 5 yrs of date of hire. Now in working for Legacy for the last several years, this company is EXCELLENT!! There are a couple of hundred applicants (new grads) who applied to the last RN internship. They are having a new grad intership application currently. It is NOT ALWAYS OPEN.... You can go to legacyhealth.org for more info.
So... I hope all of this helps and if there are any questions, feel free to comment of message me!Last edit by lovejen on Nov 17, '10
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=516808©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 5,422 Views
- Nov 18, '10 by Steener77Hi lovejen! Congratulations on being accepted! I was also accepted to ITT and will be starting with you on the 6th. I'm so so so excited. I can't wait to go to orientation on Saturday to meet everyone and to find out everything else we need to know. What area do you live in?
- Nov 18, '10 by MicheleMAI am interested in the nursing program in Portland. Can you please give me more information about the school. Thanks
- Nov 18, '10 by Steener77Michelle, Google ITT Tech Portland and give them a call to speak to an admissions counselor. They can set you up for the next information session and they can offer you a lot of information over the phone.
- Nov 18, '10 by lovejenHi Steener!
Thanks! Congrats to you too! I posted because when I was trying to make decision several months ago, it was hard to fnid straight answers. Hopefully my long post (yikes) will be helpful for someone.
I live in NW Portland/Beaverton area.... A HECK of a drive away from the campus. But I am SO excited! My husband passed away a couple years ago and it is just my 3 daughters and myself. This program seems so flexible for all of our needs. What area are you in? Is your commute going to be long?
- Nov 18, '10 by MicheleMASteener77 I already did that and have an appointment. I want to know if the program seems decent. I have looked at a few technical schools. Including the one in Henderson, NV. I didn't feel the campuses was up to par as far as nursing schools, but who am i to say? I have my pre-reqs, I have looked at alot of schools and I don't want to play the waiting game. I just want to know if the Portland campus has a good nursing program.
- Nov 20, '10 by Steener77So far Michelle, it seems great... obviously I haven't started yet so my opinion could change The informational session will give a lot of great information... and in my eyes, it seems like a great program. I have great faith that I will get a wonderful education and one day become an amazing nurse because of my education. The school is in a new building, so everything is up to date, and everyone there seems very organized and like it is in their best interest to help us get to where we're going.
- Dec 15, '10 by hiitshourtthanks so much for the info you posted. I scheduled to meet a seminar with ITT on Jan. 4th and am taking the HESI test on the 5th. Hopefully if everything goes well, i'll be starting in march.
- Dec 15, '10 by Steener77Good luck to you!! Do you already have the HESI review book? I got it from ITT and it was a great tool. I got a high score, and without the book, I would have had no idea what to study.
- Dec 15, '10 by hiitshourtYeah I ordered the book through amazon. One of the guys I spoke with gave me the isbn for the book they have in their bookstore. I'm decent in English, not as strong as I'd like but I am confident in my math.