Applicants to Portland area schools for 2012. - Page 21Register Today!
- May 11, '12 by portland medicWell got my letter from OHSU and am on the alternate list. Glad to at least have an alternate spot but I don't think my anxiety will find reprieve until I get an official offer from somewhere....assuming i actually get one. Gawd this is gonna be a long month.
- May 11, '12 by NurseLaura11reid and portland medic:
congrats!! getting on the alternate list is still a big deal. i read in some other forum that this guy got a rejection letter from ohsu, and they still ended up calling him offering him a position (i'm assuming they ran out of alternates that year!).. either way, keep your head up!
i still haven't gotten my letter, i'm assuming it'll be here tomorrow or monday. if you both don't mind me asking, what were your guys' gpa when you applied? and qualifications/experiment that you included in your essay? i'm trying to get an idea if i'll get atleast an alternate position!
- May 11, '12 by ReidPortland medic,
Congrats on getting an alternate spot. I've got my fingers crossed for you.
I thought my application was pretty strong. I have a 4.0 in pre-reqs, almost 10 years experience as a paramedic, volunteer search and rescue experience and leadership as well as an AS in electrical engineering with work and management experience in this field. I was also very pleased with my essay.
My cumulative GPA is mid 3's from several classes I took about 20 years ago. This may have made the difference for me. The warnings from my mother are proving to be true so many years later.
I've also gained a strong appreciation for the quality of students that are being accepted into the area programs. The word "competitive" doesn't come close to describing it.
I'll likely remove my credentials from this post later, but it's therapeutic for me right now to put it all out there and possibly helpful to others as they are hopeful to get in.
Cheers and good luck all!
- May 12, '12 by NurseLaura11Reid,
That is one impressive application! You should be proud of yourself. I think you still have a really high chance of getting in off the alternate list. With such an impressive application, you should be at the top of the alternate list. Keep your spirits up!
I have to wait until tomorrow to see if anything came in the mail. So anxious!
- May 12, '12 by happiness123I got on the waitlist for OHSU as well! Fingers crossed for all of us and congrats to those who got in!!!!
- May 12, '12 by ReidHi Happiness,
Congrats on getting onto the waitlist. We're not out of it yet!
- May 12, '12 by portland medicThanks Reid! Congrats to u too! Congrats to all who get an invite or an alternate. Nurselaura, I had a 4.0 gpa in prereqs which are all done, no prior degree, and 12 years experience as a paramedic. I felt the best about my OHSU essay. I hope I have a chance at getting a spot. I'm willing to go to any campus, assuming I was offered a spot. It seems like a lot of the nurses I've met that went to OHSU had a prior bachelors degree, and know that OHSU as a whole prefers people who are overqualified, so I'm honestly not expecting to get in. PCC is where I believe I have the best shot, as I took all my prereqs there. Good luck!
- May 12, '12 by osuchrisHi all, I received my letter today from OHSU and I have been accepted into the Fall BSN program. I am still waiting on the PCC letter and I will make my final decision at that point. Good luck to all of you on the wait list and I hope you get good news in the coming weeks. Just FYI, I have a BS in Management Infomation Systems - 11 years as a IT Project Manager and about 2 years experience as a CNA. My pre-req GPA was about a 3.9. Again good luck to all.
- May 12, '12 by valeriatackittGot OHSU letter in the mail today...."Admission denied" I am terribly disappointed....I have all pre-reqs completed with 3.8 GPA. No prior degree and volunteer experience in the ER plus a second language proficiency....I guess next step is to take CNA and work until next year's app season. Bummer for me. Congrats to all those who are accepted!
- May 12, '12 by ReidValeriatackitt,
I'm so sorry. I would expect that along with your good grades, your second language proficiency would have been extremely desirable. This is strong evidence of an amazingly competitive year and program. Good luck in your apps next year!
Congratulations! In the words of Thomas Edison, "Holy Crap!" (I'm sure he said this at some point). If I may ask, what do you feel are ups and downs of PCC's program in comparison to OHSU? I admit that I am not very familiar with their program, but that said, it sure would be difficult to turn down an OHSU spot.
Congratulations again and good luck with everything!