Anybody enrolled in Sumner College LPN program June 25th??Register Today!
This is a discussion on Anybody enrolled in Sumner College LPN program June 25th?? in Oregon State Nursing Programs, part of Oregon Nursing ... Hi there I know there were a couple of threads, but they were more to the RN program. I too would...by ChiChiMungo May 31, '12Hi there I know there were a couple of threads, but they were more to the RN program. I too would love to do the RN program but being in the final stages of the approval process, Id rather get started now. I am soooo contemplating on taking this lpn program. Its been eating away at me for weeks, as long as its been taking for me to finish pre reqs and now be on a 2 year wait list at any school here in WA. I am currently a CNA at Providence in Olympia, WA and am thinking about doing the commute. I have less than a week to figure it out! lol Im looking for anyone who is enrolled to start June. My husband and I just bought a property in WA, 2 hours away and Im kind of freaking out about the commute. I did buy a travel trailer but that will just save me on time not gas since I have to pay for a spot somewhere. Anyone else coming from WA? Im looking for a possible carpool or any advice. Money will be very tight because Ill be paying cash for my classes since I cant qualify for federal aid for the next several months.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=716892©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,854 Views
- Jun 9, '12 by patty89Go for it you can always bridge over to their new RN program when you are done. I live in Southern Oregon so I am holding up for the RN program. Let me know what you decide. Best of luck to you!
- Jun 13, '12 by kdodeleHi there I have also been stressing over the decision to start the lpn classes at sumner on june 25th. I live in Portland and have been job searching for 6 months no wwith no luck of a full time job with good wages and benefits. So nursing here I come! I am taking the test on Thurs for acceptance and have done the app etc. I can give you my email and we can chat. Thanks Krissy
- Jun 13, '12 by Glenna, LPNMy friend is in the program. She started in jan for the LPN program. She really likes it there. A two hour drive sounds pretty hard to do for over a year. My LPN program was in Salem and I live in Portland area, 50 min drive...ugh!!! I was so broke from spending so much money on gas. Then some of the places my clinical's where in parts of Oregon I had never heard of that was way down south. For some of the places I'd be driving for over two hours and had to car pool with some classmates.
Are there no LPN school's closer to where you live? When the season's would change I had a few mini-heart attacks from hydroplaning to watching cars sliding off the freeway in the ice. Think about your safety too. Also, in my LPN program I did have a classmate who lived in grantspass and she would just couch surf from person's house to person's house for a year...away from her husband and two kids. No idea how she was able to do that....with only a couple day visit home here and there.
- Jun 24, '12 by ChiChiMungoQuote from kdodeleI just saw this and am responding on iPad app so I can't figure out if I'm doing this right lol did you decide? Please email me email@example.comHi there I have also been stressing over the decision to start the lpn classes at sumner on june 25th. I live in Portland and have been job searching for 6 months no wwith no luck of a full time job with good wages and benefits. So nursing here I come! I am taking the test on Thurs for acceptance and have done the app etc. I can give you my email and we can chat. Thanks Krissy
- Jul 17, '12 by patty89Hey Did you end of starting the program? if so how is everything going? are you liking it there? I spoke with the college president and I am waiting to take the teas in October for the RN program that is set to start in late winter/early spring!
- Aug 3, '12 by LULU7hey Glenna just wondering how does your friend like the program? im debating weather to just start off as lpn at sumner then bridge to RN or if i should wait just for the RN...
Where did you do your studing?
- Aug 3, '12 by Glenna, LPNQuote from LULU7Hello LULU7,hey Glenna just wondering how does your friend like the program? im debating weather to just start off as lpn at sumner then bridge to RN or if i should wait just for the RN...
Where did you do your studying?
My friend loved the program. She felt that her education there was very good and she loved her instructors. Unfortunately she has come under some hardships and is taking a leave of absence. Now that question you are asking ready depends on where you are in life. Do you have kids and have life pulling you every which way and you need something where you can put away one year of your life then be able to work? Or are you just ready for life just to start and you want to be working now? I've noticed that it is really hard to get into an RN program in this area, but not impossible. I've heard of people being on waiting lists up to 2 - 3 years and by the time their names where called life happened and they weren't able to attend. If you have the time and energy, I'd try for an RN program.
If you aren't able to get into an RN program in the area and moving out of state isn't an option then doing the LPN program is a good start. Now bridging I'm starting to notice can be stressful trying to decide which way to go. PCC sadly got rid of their bridge program when they went OCNE. Mt. Hood Community College has it like every couple of years, Walla Walla omg they want you to do all this extra chem stuff that makes me want to shoot myself in the head. Haha. Chemeketa Community College also has a bridge program and there are a few in Washington that also have bridge programs. There is also online like ISU and from what I've been gathering on allnurses places around the Portland area (not counting the VA) doesn't seem to like excelsior college, but other places don't care as much outside of this area.
I went to Valley Medical College now called Institue of Technology for my LPN program. I felt that my education there was really well done even though it was all the way in Salem. I passed my NCLEX-PN my first attempt at 86 questions.
- Aug 9, '12 by LULU7Thanks for that info.. & actually i have two kids I've done dental asst. I actually began the program when i had my first baby boy (I was 20 graduated with honors)
I was looking at the RN at Sumner i'm relaly not willing to do that long waiting list for all the other campus out there.
I have no issue with getting back into school if i do the LPN at sumner its about 13 months or so & if i were to do the RN its 2 yrs. I have the energy & the hubby who helps me get through the career I really love (plus it gives him time to decided what hes gonna study ..lol)
I figuere that in the long run it pays off & I do better working under pressure anyhow (kids, life, school )
I guess i'll look into starting the LPN with sumner & continue on with their RN bridge if it ever even goes through. I dont want to wait on the RN too long and put my study on hold just for that.
Also I do plan to eventually move out of oregon but not for now, so schools else where is not such a big option i have.
I actually have a family member who will be attending Walla Walla. I'll wish her luck