OHSU's Accelerated BSN program 2012 - page 31
Hi! I live in Portland, OR and want to apply for OHSU's accelerated bachelor's program for nursing, but there isn't a lot of information out there on it. I've browsed their website, but it doesn't answer all the questions I have.... Read More
- 3Nov 5, '12 by tigerlogicAs a current AcBac'er, I'm prolly not going to check back with this thread often but for everyone wanting to apply-- do it. Writing an amazing essay that highlights your life experience and everything you'll bring is key. The general vibe of the course is that the only way you'll survive the rigor and come out an excellent nurse is if you bring significant life experience to this program. There are some 22,23 year olds but they are the minority and all have amazing stories, personal or professional. The quality and ambition of my peers is stunning. My advice is that for a back up plan, do something totally incredible from your bucket list. Travel the world. Get a totally new perspective on life, health, and people. Do the thing that you love and makes you different.
They are looking for leaders and people who want to change paradigms and take on the system. They are looking for people with broadly open minds and incredible academic skills. They are looking for people who can check their judgements at the door and work with diverse populations with respect-- from heroin using mothers, to mentally ill, to those involved in domestic violence, to undocumented workers, to risk seeking teenagers, to hospice patients, to healthy active retirees.
Consider the 3 year program as a back up. I'm enjoying the AcBac but share a class with the OCNE/3-year students and feel they may be learning more as they have more time to think. The info is a lot like trying not to choke on the watermelon of information you are trying to shove down your throat. But it's also wonderful.
Just my two cents.
- 0Jan 3, '13 by sugarmagnolia77Hello to the 2013 Applicants! I'm so glad I've found this thread. I look forward to meeting some other prospective students who have applied to the OHSU accelerated nursing program. I'm excited but nervous about my upcoming career change.
Let me introduce myself. My name is Carrie. I have an undergraduate degree in Physiology and a Master's degree in Business Admin. I have worked as a Senior Research Assistant at OHSU for the past twelve years. I am a bit worried about my application since my undergrad. GPA was not ideal. =/
My undergrad GPA was only a 3.0
My Master's degree GPA was 3.91
All of my current pre-requisites have been 4.0
I'm hoping that my extensive research experience and community volunteering will strengthen my application. I'm hoping that this forum will give me insight into typical student schedule and life over the 16 month program. I am a 35 year old mother of three, so logistics of balancing it all are obviously a huge concern for me.
I can't wait to chat with some other prosepctive students from the 2013 applicant pool!
- 0Jan 6, '13 by eandotigerlogic,
thank you so much for your comment! It is so nice to hear from someone that is in the program and also to hear about the OHSU vision from someone who is attending the school and am so glad that it is what I have envisioned it to be
I am a 23 year old, and will be just about a year out of college when the program starts. I hope I have as much to offer as others who have so much more life and professional experience than me.
I know you have said that you probably won't be checking back on this thread often, but in case you do, how was the waiting process? Now that my application is in, all I can do is wait, its going to kill me haha. I hope to ease my antsy-ness with insight from someone that went through it last year. Also, are there things we need to do before the program starts, if we were to get in?
I wish I could message you but i am not able to do that yet.
I would love to hear more from you and I hope to hear back from you someday when you have time
again thank you very much for your post!
- 0Jan 15, '13 by MightyMeowI am also here because I am a 2013 AcBac applicant and would like to get a feel for what the rest of the pool is looking like.
Previous GPA: 3.92
Pre-rec GPA: 4.0
First degree: Anthropology
CNA, single, no children
I am a bit nervous about my age, it seems that the program leans towards individuals with a little more experience under their belt. I put my all into the essay writing process, and hope that I was able to communicate that I have what it takes to make up for being such a young'in.
Good luck yall!
- 0Mar 4, '13 by leroy221[COLOR=#003366]llh5057[/COLOR] - Curious what your pre-req GPA was and your overall undergraduate GPA. I think I'm in the same boat as you. I applied for the Summer 2013 program and haven't heard back yet.
I am currently in the Fall accbacc program that started last September. I know that it is completely awful waiting to hear back when you are on the waitlist..trust me, I didn't hear until late May when I had already gave up all hope, haha. Honestly, I didn't have stellar grades, I was a pretty average student, but I went to a bomb school for my undergrad, well, at least I like to think so. The program is very time consuming, and they say after the first two quarters and after the science is over it gets easier, well, that couldn't be more false. Get ready to put in long hours, but look at it this way, you will learn a TON of information. I have been really fortunate in my clinicals so far, and have had a ton of experience inserting foleys, taking them out, doing airway care and all that fun jazz the Linfield people apparently don't feel as comfortable with. The faculty is very personable, and I really enjoy them. The pathophys class will be the hardest class you've ever taken, but you will learn an incredible amount. Bottom line is: OHSU is a killer program, you will learn a ton, the pricing is more reasonable and you get to work at the best hospital in the state for your clinicals (most likely). If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask away! I'll do my best to answer them.[/QUOTE]
- 0Mar 4, '13 by llh5057To be completely honest, I don't think OHSU just looks at GPAs. I feel like a majority of the decision comes from the provided essay that really highlights your interest in nursing and what you have done to achieve your goal in becoming a nurse.
Were you waitlisted for the summer cohort? Or have you just not heard back from OHSU yet?
- 0Mar 26, '13 by mamakacI was curious if anyone in this forum had been denied for the 3 year program at OHSU, but still accepted or waitlisted for the ABSN. I got an e-mail yesterday saying that my application was not moving forward for the 3 year program- but then called and my ABSN application is still under consideration (yet again no letters on April1st-- more like April 15th)
Any advice, words of comfort or wisdom would be welcomed!!
- 0Apr 12, '13 by heatherlapidesHi Sarabear, have just been accepted to the OHSU ABSN program and I would LOVE to talk to someone who has been in the program. I called the school to ask if they could put me in touch with any current or former students... they said no. (I don't understand why not...) I also have plans to visit the school next week and have asked if they have any kind of prospective student program set up for me to be able to visit classes, tour the school, and possibly stay with a student.... again, they said no. I am really disappointed because I am currently deciding between 3 great programs (OHSU, NYU, and Hopkins - all ABSN programs)... and have to make my decision within a few weeks. If you would be willing to chat with me I would be greatly appreciative - [email protected] or we could also talk on the phone. If you're not available... maybe one of your classmates?? Thank you so much!!! -Heather
- 0Apr 12, '13 by heatherlapidesHello, I'm a new user (just signed up today!) - I have just been accepted to the OHSU ABSN program and I would LOVE to talk to someone who has been in the program. I called the school to ask if they could put me in touch with any current or former students... they said no. (I don't understand why not...) I also have plans to visit the school next week and have asked if they have any kind of prospective student program set up for me to be able to visit classes, tour the school, and possibly stay with a student.... again, they said no. I am really disappointed because I am currently deciding between 3 great programs (OHSU, NYU, and Hopkins - all ABSN programs)... and have to make my decision within a few weeks, and I feel like OHSU hasn't been very helpful. If anyone would be willing to chat with me I would be greatly appreciative - [email protected] or we could also talk on the phone. Thank you so much!!! -Heather
- 0Apr 12, '13 by mitbdeHi Heather, there's a user on a different forum who is a current OHSU ABSN student. She's been giving us some info the past few days. Maybe she could help you? Try searching OHSU ABSN 2013. Let me know if you can't find it. There's also a facebook page for admitted students- the link is also on the other thread. Congrats! Hope to see you at OHSU.