Mt. Hood Nursing... Possible Strike??Register Today!
- by saribeari Apr 3, '11I just wanted to let everyone know who is planning on attending Mt. Hood that there is a possible strike by faculty.
Does this make anyone else nervous??
- Apr 3, '11 by Kuku1981
Mt hood is my first choice for nursing school. Why are they planning strike?
- Apr 3, '11 by saribearithey are planning to strike because the board will not negotiate with the faculty.
- Apr 3, '11 by Ginnym1981I attend MHCC now and I'm a tad worried about it BUT we also have to remember that if we are fortunate enough to get in to their program that we won't be starting until the fall so hopefully the board and the faculty can work something out.
(what I've heard is that they are trying to cut the full-time faculty's pay by 20%. The faculty are willing to take a pay cut but want to negotiate the amount and they feel that 20% is TOO much)
I'm torn on the subject because while our teachers are GREAT and deserve their pay, many, many, many americans are taking pay cuts in these hard economic times (some people 100%). It really is a difficult situation.
- Apr 5, '11 by airbenderI just got an email this morning that they canceled the part-time nursing program! Applicants can either request to be forwarded to the full-time pool, or receive a refund of their money. It can't be a good sign for MHCC...
- Apr 6, '11 by Ginnym1981Quote from airbenderI don't think it's neccessarily a bad sign....this will be delt with before we start nursing school if we get accepted.I just got an email this morning that they canceled the part-time nursing program! Applicants can either request to be forwarded to the full-time pool, or receive a refund of their money. It can't be a good sign for MHCC...
However, I do feel bad for those who are currently in the program because I'm sure they have full time instructors who would be striking.
BTW, the vote to strike is happening tonight so IF they do strike it will be very, very soon and hopefully resolved soon because this *might* influence the whole interview process but I'm hoping it won't.
MHCC is looking like my only shot at nursing school this year.
- Apr 6, '11 by airbenderGinnym,
I hope Mt. Hood works out for you! They aren't closing, and they make it seem like they will be hiring PT staff in the interim if a strike does occur, to ensure students can continue their courses as planned. I wasn't too upset about them canceling the part-time, as that was kind of my last resort - I really don't need to do an associate in nursing part time! Good luck...
- Apr 10, '11 by tpbp0206I am currently in the nursing program at MHCC. A lot of the nursing instructors are PT so we have been told that this shouldn't affect the nursing program as much as main campus. Fingers crossed that this is all true because I among many others would be upset if it interrupted our program. Best of luck to all of you applying this year!
- Apr 26, '11 by sober_starletI received an invitation to interview at MHCC....any tips or words of wisdom? How about the 5 questions...I have heard that they are questions such as, "Why do you want to become a nurse?"...does anyone know what other types of questions they ask in the group interview, or how many people you interview with? CCC was about 5 per group....hmmm getting anxious/excited