IV Therapy or Burn UnitRegister Today!
- by yellowfluffball Jan 5, '10Hi,
this is question that I could answer myself, but I would like some input because I'm super indecisive, so I have 2 options for nursing practicums: Emanuel's Burn Unit or IV Therapy? which one would you choose?
- Jan 12, '10 by OregonBSNEasy, Burn Unit....
- Jan 13, '10 by SpiderellaBurn Unit...hands down. No contest.
- Jan 13, '10 by CharmanderBurn Unit all the way. Oh holy cow those are some of the most compassionate, professional and smart nurses I have ever worked with (it was in medic school, literally ages ago...) You will learn so much about meds, patient assessment, wound care, family dynamics, compassionate care, collaboration and the list goes on. You will get your IV skills as you go, but this is one of those amazing opportunities you shouldn't let pass.... good luck!!
- Jan 15, '10 by LoveMyBugsBurn Unit..........Just yesterday my school had a nurse from the Burn Unit come and give a presentation, it was so informative. That is now my long term goal to work in the burn unit. I have been torn between peds and emergency, and the burn unit seems to almost tie the two together.
I think that you could learn soooo much from being there.
They have everything there, a trauma room and that can be used as an OR, on site pharm, social service, phyc services OT and PT. 1/3 of the patients are children.
It has the feel of emergency when they first arrive, but the RN also said that he has had patients stay in the unit for up to 11 months so they also have the benefit of really getting to know thier patients.