Applicants to Portland area schools for 2012. - Page 2Register Today!
- Feb 12, '12 by ocnurse1Lilpoka- I think you have an excellent chance to get in for an interview, in fact I would almost say its guaranteed with that many points...I had 55 points and got an interview so unless there are more people that have more points then you then I think you're okay. I didn't apply to any other schools during my application process because I didn't want to go anywhere else besides CCC...I worked at one of the local hospitals and had been told over and over again how well respected the CCC students were and when I found out about co-enrollment at OHSU, I just couldn't see myself going anywhere else (but of course now I'm biased!).
So, if I were you, I would relax and just wait for your interview letter As for the interview, like I said, just be yourself, be confident, think critically and honestly and you should do just fine! If they think you are ready and a good fit, they will pick you...I think your experience as a CNA is going to give you the experience to know exactly how to answer their questions and you should do just fine!
- Feb 13, '12 by LilpokaThank you so much for your support. Your advice is greatly appreciated! It sounds like you REALLY like CCC. That is so encouraging. Hopefully the wait to hear something back from them won't take too long. I believe I read something like April. Anyway, I sure hope it works out.
Best to you!
- Feb 14, '12 by ocnurse1One other thing about the question of whether to go on to get a BSN right away or not...in my recent job searches to look at who is hiring, I did see that Providence Hospital is not going to require a new grad to have a BSN to be hired until 2018 so if you get into a program in the next few years you should be okay...but you will eventually have to get your BSN. There are lots of RN to BSN programs you can get into, many of them online and out of state. This is not to deter anyone from doing it, I am definitely going to do it and it will become the standard within the next 5 years but if you really need to start working right away then you will be okay. I personally don't want to go right away because I am getting married this summer and want to start a family soon (I'm in my mid-thirties and need to get going!) so I am choosing to go straight into the work force, work for a few years and have a baby and then start taking classes online, one at a time...I think it takes about 3 total years to get the degree if you do it one at a time but this means I can still work full time, start a family, AND get my BSN. This is what works for me but as I said before, do what's right for you and your life situation...just don't feel that you aren't going to be hired if you don't get it right away. that's my two cents
- Feb 25, '12 by LilpokaWell, I would have to say that I am really surprised at how little conversation is going on between 2012 applicants. I have read through about 40+ pages of conversation for same title post but with 2011. There was so much chatter about applying, the waiting period, the first letters, day after interviews/essays...etc. I was hoping we would have a little more input from others. Oh well, guess I will have to stress out and wait all by myself, lol.
But good luck to everyone still the same. I might check back in a few weeks to see if anything new comes in. But for those that are interested in more info, check out the 2011 Portland Applicant posts. It's amazing how interactive everyone was.
If anyone out there knows of a different thread that people are chatting on, I would love to know where it is. Thanks.
- Feb 27, '12 by lucyjnHi all!! I am also surprised by how the scant amount of conversation going on this year! I have spent hours perusing past conversations, but would love to hear from others who have just applied and are playing the waiting game! It is torturous, and there is still so much time to go.... Where did everyone apply? Has anyone heard from U of P so far? Good luck to all!!!
- Mar 2, '12 by happiness123I have not heard from UP yet either! I saw in last year's thread that they didn't get their letters until MArch 3rd, so soon! I'm getting pretty anxious! Has anyone heard from UP?
- Mar 2, '12 by lucyjnI still haven't but am also anxious, since I also read that last year people started getting them right around now!
- Mar 4, '12 by LilpokaI applied to Clackamas, PCC, Mt Hood and OHSU.... I have no idea, really, how long before I hear anything from anyone! I am guessing at least 3-4 weeks, UGH!!
- Mar 5, '12 by happiness123Nothing in the mail today
- Mar 20, '12 by emmyersHello pdx area applicants, not too much chatter this year! Last year I'd applied to pcc, mhcc, ccc, and ohsu. I was waitlisted and then later accepted into MHCC, but I declined due to finances. I really wanted to be financially secure and able to not have to work while in the program. So I finished my pre reqs, and applied again this year with 6 more points, but only to mhcc. Anyways, just wanted to wish you all luck, and don't stress out too much, the process is quite smooth, and the time will be here before you know it. Also, wanted to let you all know that today I received my email from MHCC saying my application has been received and I'll here back in the end of April. Best wishes for you all