Prep solution for open woundsRegister Today!
- by wakyone Jun 27, '12What are you using to prep open wounds and where would I find the rationale?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=749787©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,255 Views
- Jun 27, '12 by aliciaRNBSNWe use betadine paint but I've been told that it isn't "approved" for use in open wounds. I did some research on ChloraPrep and Betadine and one article suggested that Betadine is so old that it's indicated uses were grandfathered in by the FDA whereas other prepping agents are forced to follow stricter guidelines.
- Jun 28, '12 by ButtonNoseHey there, in Ontario, Canada our standards state that for open wounds they should be prepped using normal saline.
- Jun 29, '12 by ChristineAdrianaRNI've only ever seen one doc prep open wounds, and he uses a 50/50 mixture of betadine paint and saline. But I am not sure of the rationale.
- Jul 9, '12 by GoobstressSafe to go with manufacturer's guideline and read the inserts...hospital policy as well and based on those make your decision.
- Jul 11, '12 by RNtUamazingJust had an inservice from the Chloraprep rep. She says unless it is necrotic, Chloraprep stays off open wounds. It can inhibit new tissue growth. You can ask your rep to bring or email you research.