Blood PatchRegister Today!
- by layna Mar 31, '03Hello OR nurses,
When a patient is receiving a blood patch, do your anesthesia care providers prefer the assistance of an OR nurse, or is one of the floor staff RN's used?
- 1,317 Views
- Mar 31, '03 by cindylnI have helped with many a blood patch. Our anesthesia staff will use the floor staff because they are actually doing it at the patient's bed. Why bring OR staff?
- Mar 31, '03 by RNonsenseNot an OR nurse, but I did have to have a blood patch 3 years ago. It was done in the ER...I don't believe the assisting nurse was from the OR.
- Mar 31, '03 by sunnygirl272i have assisted w/ many a blood patch...not in quite some time...was when i worked in a painclinic...
- Apr 1, '03 by niteshiftnurseI have had several blood patches done because of myleograms and most were done in the doctors office. Only once was it done in the OR
- Apr 1, '03 by OBNURSEHEATHERWe assist with them, as they are done right at the bedside.
- Apr 5, '03 by laynaThanks, everyone! I thought that this would be the case. I have some staff on my unit that believe that the OR nurse should be the one to assist with this. Since this does not involve administration of spinal or epidural anesthesia, I thought a floor nurse would be able to handle it. I think that there is just fear of the unknown since we don't do them very often.