Walden University has new FNP and AGNP Programs - page 13
Walden has started new a new FNP and AGNP enrolling now for start date in Sept, Oct, and Dec. hope this is helpful to people that are interested.... Read More
- 0Jan 28, '13 by PatMac10,RNI just thought of something. I know students at Walden haven't started the clinical portion yet, at least none that I've heard, with it being a new online program.
I wanted to ask.......
Do any of you Walden Online NP students ( or any Online NP student) who are approaching their clinical practicum plan on doing any thing "extra" to help you become more confident and get more practice with the various "provider" skills? I mean skills like: I&D, Suturing, IUD placement and/or removal, casting, diagnostic imaging and EKG interpretation etc....
I know some online schools require their students to come to a physical campus for a "skills intensive/ fair" type of thing before they start their clinical or periodically throughout their clinical.
For schools who don't have the "come to campus " option, what will you do to ensure you get to learn and practice these skills to feel more comfortable in doing them in clinical? Will you attend CEUs workshops for advanced skills for the mid-level provider type of things?
How does your program go about teaching these skills if they don't have an on campus option? Do you really only become comfortable with that the more you do it in clinical? Thanks for the answers!
I know that there must be a way that online NP students become competent in these skills, bc many of the NPs I know got their education fully online and now suture, do i&d's, etc... Like pro's and most of them have only been in practice for 2 to 3 years.
- 0Jan 30, '13 by Mark Hill BSNI will take advantage of everything I can in clinicals. Most of my practicum is in ER, and since I have 20 years f expereince in ER I feel I will be OK. No one will learn all that they need to know in clinicals, and on the job training will be very valualbe as with any job. I think the best thing you can do to prpare yourself for clinicals, and eventually independant practice is to have a strong clinical and work history to fall back on. If you dont, you will only be hurting yourself.
- 0Jan 30, '13 by Mark Hill BSNWill start the advanced classes in about 3 weeks. Have completed, or almost completed five of the core classes. They are very writing intensive. there is alot of discussion posting, which is like wirting a short paper every week and then commenting or responding to questions asked and everything has to be cited in APA format. A larger paper is due about every other week, whith one large paper at the end of each class. The large papers are usually 10-12 pages. The program is very time consuming but doable. I took 3 calsses this quarter and have maintained a 4.0 so far, but I put about 40 hours a week into school work.
- 1Feb 3, '13 by Nishacat03Accepted into the BSN-MSN track for FNP to start June 2013
I am a little nervous because I currently work in Arizona and will be completing the program here. How likely is it that in two years from now I will be able to sit for boards in Florida . I would like to move back to florida and wondering how smart is it to start the program without the certainty of being able to practice there. The Walden site seems to have most states on board does anyone know if florida is pending acceptance of waldens online program?
- 0Feb 3, '13 by StacyRN_80Nisha I start in June as well. I'm not sure of the specifics of that but my advice would be to contact the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. There is a link to email them on the AANP site and they are prompt in responding to ur questions. Let me know what u find out!
- 0Feb 5, '13 by Nishacat03Quote from StacyRN_80Thank you for the guidance . I will update here.Nisha I start in June as well. I'm not sure of the specifics of that but my advice would be to contact the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. There is a link to email them on the AANP site and they are prompt in responding to ur questions. Let me know what u find out!
Stacy- do you know if the foundation for graduate study ( one credit hour) will be included with the minimum 10 credit hours the first quarter ?
Also I haven't asked my advisor yet but will the practicums include classroom work ?