Picking a nursing programRegister Today!
- by AnabelleHolly Apr 29Hi everyone! I'm so glad this site exists, as I am going into a nursing program this fall (I'm a senior in high school in the Boston area). I got into 2 nursing programs: the 4year co-op at Drexel in Philadelphia, and the 4year at McGill in Montreal. Drexel is more expensive but I got a great academic scholarship so the price difference doesn't really need to come into consideration!!! But I have a lot to think about....
1) I love both cities but Montreal is really special and I always hoped to study there when I was younger
2) The campus is BEAUTIFUL
3) The school has an amazing reputation, BUT I don't know if the same is true for the nursing program, especially if I'm planning to return to the United States after school...? Does anyone know how hard it is to become an RN in the US with an education from Canada???
4) I would have to take summer courses, BUT they would be in May and June I would probably still get 2 months off in the summer to relax/summer job
5) The learning hospital near by seems very old, and I heard it will be under construction in the near future
1) I believe the campus is improving and it's right outside the center of Philly, but it can't compare to McGill's campus
2) There are "learning community" dorms that offer a lot of support for nursing students. Everyone on my floor would also be studying nursing and health sciences
3) My classes would be preparing me to pass the tests in the US, and maybe it would be beneficial to study where I plan to work in the future (closer to my family)
4) Co-op seems very beneficial BUT no more summer breaks after the one at the end of freshman year. And I love my summer job
One of the BIGGEST FACTORS (even though maybe it shouldn't be)...my boyfriend and I have struggled to keep in touch for the past two years (long distance), and our relationship has been very painful. If I go to Montreal I think I would have to end everything with him, which would break my heart. And if we decided to continue to stay in touch despite the distance, it would be very distracting and I wouldn't be able to enjoy Montreal fully, because I would miss him.
If I go to Philly he would be near by (for the first time!!!!)
Of course there are no guarantees that our relationship will work perfectly but there is a little chance that it COULD.
I'm scared to leave my dream of going to Montreal but I'm also scared of leaving behind a relationship that is so important in my life.
Thanks for reading, I'm just trying to do the right thing for my situation. Sharing any advice or anything you know is greatly appreciated
Poll: Should I go to McGill or Drexel?
1 Votes / Multiple Choice
- 511 Views