Anyone know what is going on with kaplan's online adn programRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Anyone know what is going on with kaplan's online adn program in Online Nursing Schools, Traditional Schools, Colleges, Universities ... Hi Everyone! I have been researching Kaplan University's onling ADN program that is available in...by KJCMJE06 Feb 1, '09Hi Everyone!
I have been researching Kaplan University's onling ADN program that is available in South Florida... I have done all of the work to be accepted into the program which was to start March 2009, now I get a phone call that the class has suppossedly been moved to a new start date of June 2009. They told me bc the Florida Board dictates when they can start classes, but they have also told me that I am not guaranteed a seat in the program yet and that everything is on hold.
I am just curious if anyone has heard anything or if they are in the same boat as myself? Also if anyone has heard anything about the program?
Thanks so much in advance for your help!!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=366972©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 5,654 Views
I was suppose to start in March as well. My Advisor called me to inform me the start date changed to June. She did not tell me I wasn't guaranteed to get in. She informed me I was #10 of the 20 to start. I am so ready to start and complete this program. It is good to know, I am not alone.
- Feb 17, '09 by FLmomof5united states district court
kaplan college a/k/a/ iowa
college acquisition corporation;
kaplan higher education corporation,
a division of kaplan, inc.,
a wholly owned subsidiary of the
washington post company;
first amended complaint for damages
and other relief under the false claims act
1. (a) this is an action to recover damages and civil penalties on behalf of the united
states of america, arising out of false claims approved and presented by
case 1:07-cv-22511-pch document 63-3 entered on flsd docket 03/03/2008 page 1 of 16
defendants to obtain
over one-half billion dollars annually from the united states department of
education pursuant to the higher education act, title iv ('hea'), from at least
january 1, 1999 continually through the present.
(b) defendant kaplan university (hereafter known as kaplan) is one of the largest
recipients of hea federal student financial aid funds from the united states
department of education.
(c) in requesting and receiving at least one-half billion dollars annually, defendants
falsely represent every year that they are in compliance with hea's and all of the
federal regulations that are required for eligibility of the title iv
(d) defendants had, and continue to have, actual knowledge that they are not adhering
to the hea regulations that their representations of adherence were and are false,
and that they therefore were and are submitting false or fraudulent representations
thread edited to conform with the tos of this site. please always just post a couple of sentences and then provide a link to the article.
thanks for your understanding on this.
suzanne4Last edit by sirI on Dec 13, '09
- This is from march 2008. Students have enrolled and started the program after this.
- Feb 17, '09 by FLmomof5I didn't intend to indicate this was the cause of the delay.
I posted this so that persons who want to go to NS have all the info regarding the NS they are applying to and whether or not a particular school is in their best interest.
Rip-off Report has dozens of testimonials of the financial aid fraud alleged in the lawsuit. The students believe they have all they need only to receive enormous bills later and blocked out of their classes.
In May 2008, the Justice Department stepped in on behalf of the plaintiffs to discourage a Summary Dismissal request by Kaplan and it's parent company The Washington Post.
Getting a higher education is expensive and challenging enough.....
What I posted is an FYI. I have no neg experiences w/Kaplan. I didn't need to look at their program because FCCJs meets my needs! I only did a quick google search on Kaplan to see what may be happening and came across the lawsuit. Personally, if *I* had other options.....I would run not walk to the nearest Kaplan exit.
I only pray that those who sign up with Kaplan get what they paid for and what all their hard work earned them and I hope it goes without a hitch.
- Most private institutions are higher than public institutions. I received my AA from a community college and my BS and MS from a private university (Nova). As you can see, this is nothing NEW to me.
- Feb 17, '09 by KJCMJE06Thanks for the replies... I am beginning to agree with you. Something also seems fishy about the whole online afn program. I contacted the Florida Board of Nursing today and they are skeptical about the program as well. I had no problem taking out the 25k plus in student loans for the program however, I do not want to have this amount in loans and nothing to show for it. No one has graduated the program yet and I am starting to hear of a lot of flaws with the program. I appreciate the info.
To MZLUCAS.. thanks for your reply as well. I have spoken to a bunch of advisors at Kaplan over the past 2 weeks and they have informed me that no one has been guaranteed a seat for the June class. (Dont want to be negative or anything, just wanted to give you the heads up). Also, have you completed your fasfa for 2009-2010. Thanks again I appreciate it and Good Luck. Also where in florida do you live? Take care
- No I haven't completed my 09-10 fasfa. Thanks for your post as well. It has been very informative. I am located in Fort Lauderdale. I am currently teaching biology and wanted a career change. Where are you located?
- Feb 17, '09 by KJCMJE06Hi Again... yes it is great to be able to speak to someone who is looking into the program as well. I am in Palm Beach county. Just to give you the heads up this is what I was told. I had completed everything for Kaplan and did my 2008-2009 fasfa... the same day this was done the dates of the program switched. I have been informed by Kaplan that without the 2009-2010 fasfa being completed no one will be able to be given a seat... this is bc the school timing now goes into the 2010 school year (bc it is actually a summer start time... i thought they were kidding but contacted some people that I know at the University where I rec'd my bachelors degree and they confirmed this for me)
So, obviously my next question was to let me do my 2009-210 FASFA.... I have been informed and again checked the reliablity of it.. that it cannot be sone until the beginning of March 2009. So bascially what I am piecing together is that until that FASFA is completed no one can be guatanteed a seat bc you have to have a completed funding plan to proceed with Kaplan. So just something for you to keep in mind. I have been driving myself crazy with this for about a month now. It has been very stressful and annoying not knowing, Ok am I going to start in June or not. I guess you feel the same. \
Thanks again for the replies and I look foward to keeping in touch. Take care
- You should be able to complete your fasfa as long as you have filed your taxes.