- by mappers Oct 30, '12What type of PPE do you wear when administering chemo and what type of setting are you in? Gloves, gown, mask, etc. and in-patient vs. clinic, vs other.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=795102©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,266 Views
- Oct 31, '12 by ShantheRNGloves, gown (thicker material than our normal PPE gowns,) mask with face shield. I work inpatient peds.
- Oct 31, '12 by mappersHow many times a day/week do you give chemo and how many patients at a time?
- Nov 2, '12 by ashwee356Chemo gown (thicker than regular gowns), chemo gloves ( also thicker, longer).
Throw away both after EACH administration, even on the same patient... Some places re-wear the gown which is a no-no according to ONS.
We also use Pha-seal, which is a lure lock closed system for chemo administration.
I work in ambulatory infusion center located inside hospital.
- Nov 3, '12 by ShantheRNQuote from mappersIt depends on the patient's treatment plan. I work 3 days a week and often give chemo every day of it. Multiple drugs depending on the patient.How many times a day/week do you give chemo and how many patients at a time?
- Nov 3, '12 by mappersWe only wear gowns when we are pushing a vesicant. We wear chemo quality gloves always and never wear a face mask (If there was a spill we would, but that rarely happens.) I'm in an outpatient clinic and give chemo all day long to multitudes of patients. If we had to change gowns in between each patient, I'd be averaging close to 50 gowns a day. There are usually 8-10 of us on the floor. That's a lot of gowns and a lot of trash going into the yellow buckets.
Does anyone wear one gown all day (or at least until you leave the floor)?
- Nov 8, '12 by ashwee356Yes we do a lot of chemo too, and it is about 50 (or more) gowns a day. On and then off and straight into the yellow bucket. We have asked if we could change anything to reduce cost and waste. Our oncology NP always replies, " we'll even if you don't think you get anything on your regular gloves you always change them and throw them away right? It's the same concept for chemo precautions..." We comply, but I do often times think it is somewhat overkill.
- Dec 2, '12 by DachRNI HOPE you attended a Chemotherapy/Biotherapy Course AND YOUR facility is telling you WHAT PPE to wear!!!!
- Dec 3, '12 by ashwee356Quote from DachRNUmm, yes. But the question doesnt have anything to do with being chemo certified or taking a chemo/bio course.I HOPE you attended a Chemotherapy/Biotherapy Course AND YOUR facility is telling you WHAT PPE to wear!!!!
The OP has a valid question because not every facility has the exact same policies in regards to PPE.