University of Oklahoma ABSN Summer 2012 - page 3
by CC10479 16,046 Views | 84 Comments
Hello! I don't know how many of you are turning in your applications for the summer 2012 OU ABSN program, but I found a helpful page on OU's website which contains a schedule for this year's ABSN students. It might be good to... Read More
- 0Mar 5, '12 by pedioncodreamsThanks everyone for your replies~! I am still not very optimistic about getting in. I am currently taking both poli sci and gen chem due to not having them since college. I have tons of experience in a hospital clinical setting. I went to nursing school for a year at TCU and then had to drop out of nursing school and finish my bachelor's degrees (dual degree in biology and spanish) due to a sick family member. Between a year of nursing clinicals and an externship and working as a "nurse/nurse aid" for multiple physicians i have tons of clinical experience. I wish I could have shown that on my application because I feel like that might sway them more towards letting me in! ugh.
guess all I can do is wait now!
Thanks!Last edit by pedioncodreams on Mar 5, '12 : Reason: wasn't finished
- 0Mar 5, '12 by CC10479I too wish OU would factor experience into their decision. I assume OU wants to maintain their reputation for being a solid nursing program, and nursing students with prior healthcare experience seem to me like they would increase the retention rate.
When I asked why they rejected me last year, they said it was based on my RESIDENCY status and the fact that I was still in the process of completing the pre-req's. The pre-req's I somewhat understand, but the fact that they put so much weight into residency seemed odd to me.
Letters aren't out yet so don't get too discouraged--hopefully there will be great news for everyone in a few days!
- 0Mar 6, '12 by The New Girl CThanks for all of the updates and comments, it is fun to read what everyone else has to say. I applied to both Tulsa and OKC and will be equally happy with either. I just want to get in somewhere! I contacted TCU last year to ask about their accelerated program, and got the impression they didn't want anything to do with me because I was an Oklahoma resident. I was a little bummed since I LOVE Texas. So maybe residency is just one of those important factors that doesn't make much sense.
Anyway, I am glad I'm not the only one worried about why this letter has taken so long and practically put my entire future on hold. It has been stressful, but I am still very hopeful for good news! Best of luck to everyone!
- 0Mar 6, '12 by pedioncodreamsThanks for your response CC10479! If you don't mind me asking, what prereq's were you in the process of taking last year when you applied? I'm hoping that the fact i've finished all the NURSING prereqs with great grades will weigh more heavily than the poli sci and gen chem core requirements for ou as a whole.
Thankfully, I am an oklahoma resident....i just hope all of that is enough!
- 0Mar 6, '12 by pedioncodreamsHi New Girl---I received my bachelor's degrees from TCU. I was enrolled in their nursing program for one year--before a family emergency forced me to just graduate with the hours i already had, thus, i was unable to finish the program. I have been a permanent oklahoma resident my entire life and TCU's nursing program accepted me! So maybe you just talked to someone who was having a bad day and was cranky? they are extraordinarily strict but it is a great program. I would have loved to go back if I didn't have reason to stay in oklahoma!
- 0Mar 7, '12 by CC10479Pedioncodreams--I was finishing Chemistry and Statistics. Of course I have nothing to do with the nursing program decisions, but if OU doesn't accept you they're crazy. I wish OU had told me how much priority they place on residency status last year; I probably would have been less disappointed if I had known.
Just got home from a long road trip with the hopes of finding a letter in the mailbox...sadly only junk. I noticed on OU's website that they extended some application deadlines for other programs. I wonder if something happened within the administrative staff.
Here's to hoping the letters come tomorrow!
- 0Mar 8, '12 by OUabsn12Today is the day, for OKC students at least! I just got my acceptance letter in the mail! It scared me a little at first because it was just in a regular OUHSC envelope & I was expecting more of a folder-sized envelope with information packets; but in the letter they said that they will be mailing all of the orientation, enrollment, etc. information in the coming weeks.
Hopefully the rest of you will get good news today too! I can't wait to find out who my classmates will be, good luck to everyone else!Last edit by OUabsn12 on Mar 8, '12