Career Change to RN - TCC or RSU? - page 2
Hello All: I'm a 27 year old male (married, no children) in Tulsa, OK and I'm going to soon be making a fairly dramatic career change into the world of nursing. I graduated from OSU with a business degree in 2005 and I've... Read More
- 0Aug 14, '09 by mommy.19Quote from FriarTuckI'm sorry, I thought RSU only had a BSN program! Shows ya what I researched and what kind of Plan B I had That sounds like the best route for you at this point and I wish you the best of luck!!!:heartbeatThanks for the advice! The only issue I'm running into is that the pre-requisites for TCC and RSU (and probably other programs) are slightly different and I won't be able to complete all of them before the application period next Spring. So, I'm kind of putting all my eggs into the RSU basket due to the fact that I know that RSU only looks at your grades in the 5 pre-reqs (per the horse's mouth at RSU). The cutoff point was at 3.0 last for this Fall's class and I know I can do better than a 3.0 in the 4 pre-reqs I have to take.
Oh, and RSU does have an ADN program. Here's a link to the program description.
- 0Aug 14, '09 by FriarTuckQuote from Tulsagirl00Yes, I'm taking Biology for Majors and (retaking) Freshman Comp at TCC this semester. Then next semester I need to take A&P and Dosage Calculations. I"m taking Dosage at RSU (you have to) and I think I'm taking A&P at TCC. The RSU lady said she thought the combined class at TCC transfers over but I want to make sure. I don't have to take the Orientation class due to already having a Bachelor's.FriarTuck..
Do you know if you're taking your courses this semester at TCC? And then to RSU during the spring? I think that is what I'm planning on doing, but I am not positive. I may only take the Orientation course that they require be taken at RSU there in the spring, and the rest at TCC to try and some some $$$!!! Let me know what you plan on doing!
- 0Aug 14, '09 by pbinghamQuote from FriarTuckThe combined class will transfer however you get extra points on your nursing application if you take it at RSU.Yes, I'm taking Biology for Majors and (retaking) Freshman Comp at TCC this semester. Then next semester I need to take A&P and Dosage Calculations. I"m taking Dosage at RSU (you have to) and I think I'm taking A&P at TCC. The RSU lady said she thought the combined class at TCC transfers over but I want to make sure. I don't have to take the Orientation class due to already having a Bachelor's.
- 0Aug 14, '09 by FriarTuckYeah, I'd like to take A&P at RSU but I'll be working full time up until next Fall so I'm sure TCC will have a better evening option for me, and it's closer. I'm curious was extra points you get for taking the class at RSU and if I get an A at TCC, if it really matters... ?
- 0Aug 18, '09 by iwillactAre you sure you dont have to have Orientation? Please double check.
I was told that I was given extra points for taking my A seperate from my P. Just thought Id throw that out there. Good luck. Its a long process but it is possible to get it done. Now that Im in I just gotta get through it
- 0Aug 18, '09 by FriarTuckThe lady I spoke to on the phone at RSU said I wouldn't have to take the College Experience orientation class because I already have a BS. I will certainly double-check, though.
Yeah, I thought about taking A&P separately but, again, the lady I spoke to said the TCC combined class transfers. I am surprised RSU doesn't require a Chemistry class. I wonder if that will be required for me to eventually get into a BSN program?
- 0Aug 18, '09 by iwillacthttp://www.rsu.edu/academics/health-...ng/packets.asp
I know sometimes navigating sites for info can be a wild goose chase. Try this link. It has an outline of the courses for the different options. You ma have already seen it but just in case you havent here it is. Click on the course of study links for each option.
Since I am a bio major I only have to take the core nursing courses (classes already done) I imagine most of your gen ed is already done too.Last edit by iwillact on Aug 18, '09
- 0Aug 19, '09 by FriarTuckYeah, I know a lot of my basics (english, history, etc.) will transfer over. However, I may retake some of them if I got less than a B to try to raise my overall GPA to be more competitive if I choose to eventually apply to a CRNA program.
I never realized how my laziness/lack of focus from my years as an 18-20 year old would haunt me later on in life. Now I just have to work harder to make up for it.
- 0Aug 24, '09 by FriarTuckThat is correct. These are the nearest CRNA programs I've found:
TCU - Ft. Worth, TX
Texas Wesleyan - Ft. Worth, TX
Arkansas State - Jonesboro, AR
Kansas University Med - Kansas City
Newman University - Wichita, KS
Missouri State - Springfield, MO
Univ. of Missouri Kansas City - Kansas City