PSY 120 or 221?
- 0Jun 29, '12 by rninmeHas anyone here taken PSY 221? I heard back from grad schools and either 120 or 221 is acceptable to them. Leaning toward 221 since it will be over a semester and I don't have to buy a scientific calculator!! I HATE scientific calcs - I can never figure out how to use them!! Both required proctored exams - I want the least stressful that I can find! I am sure that either will be He11 on earth - Thanks for your thoughts!
- 0Jul 1, '12 by cincinursemaryI don't know about 221, but PSY 120 with professor K is not horrible. It started out like I was completely ...huh???????? ... just lost. It is like you are just plopped in a differenct country,and there is a different language. But I caught on and was actually able to complete the first assignment in 2 days and the 2nd assignment in 3 days.( reading the book and tips on the DB)
When you get to the computations and formulas, in Mod 3 it is alot of work,.... practice, practice ,practice. The videos' are good and you can follow along with your notes and do it as she does it. My TA has a group d/b with a hundred helpful hints and has been excellent answering questions etc.
I am working on Mod 4 and I have spent about 8 hours. but I am getting it.
I'm just afraid when it comes to the midterm, that I will blank out b/c I understand it as I do it with the video,but after I try to do it on my own, I get really confused. I guess that is why she gives so much practice questions
Also, I am doing the 8 week. I can't imagine the 5 week, unless you have had math recently. The last time I took algebra was 40 years ago.
If I can do it, anyone can.
- 0Jul 1, '12 by rninmeQuote from mtsteelhorseI have just about decided to take 221 over the semester. It will make me graduate a month later Dec instead of Nov. But it's not like I am rushing off to grad school in January! As long as I have official transcripts in hand by mid-Feb I am OK for my 1st choice in grad schools. April 1 is the deadline for choice number 2. I am actually OK with either choice - just hope I get accepted by one of them!I suck at math so perhaps I'd better rethink this 5 week course thing. Especially since I will have to take it WITH another course. Do you use algebra much? Oh gosh, what a scary proposition this is!
- 0Jul 1, '12 by rninmeQuote from mtsteelhorseI emailed my advisor last week - haven't heard from her yet. Hopefully she will know something about the classes. I am afraid I will fail the 5 week class since it would be paired up with excellence. Others have said excellence isn't difficult - but does contain lots of busy work projects. From what I am reading about stats here, if it is taking people 8 hours to do 1 assignment - and there are multiple assignments due each week .... !!!! I work fulltime - and I can't cut back just to have time to deal with a retake statistics class. Just shoot me!! That will take care of everything!You're a smart cookie. I may opt for the same. I wish I understood more about the difference in courses. I hate the idea of rushing thru stats in 5 short weeks. I'm going to take a hard look at this. Have you registered yet? We may be study buddies!
- 0Would like to go this route as well but would have to retake Algebra if you can believe that. Or, pass an assessment test. I'm thinking of trying to do that. I need to brush up on math before I even consider such a thing! I got a D in college algebra back in the dark ages. I was majoring in partying at the time.