New grad looking for a job
- 0Mar 19, '13 by medic21I currently just obtained my ADN through excelsior college. I'm working as a medic right now in Canton, OH and will probably not take my NCLEX for another couple months yet. Is it possible to land an RN position and work as an RN even if you do not have your RN license yet?
- 2,036 Visits
- 0Mar 20, '13 by Esme12 Senior ModeratorQuote from MEDICRN21Welcome to AN! The largest online nursing community!!I currently just obtained my ADN through excelsior college. I'm working as a medic right now in Canton, OH and will probably not take my NCLEX for another couple months yet. Is it possible to land an RN position and work as an RN even if you do not have your RN license yet?
The answer is probably not.....you have to check with the Ohio board of nursing to see if they have a new grad status for licensure. Many states no longer have this grace licensure.
Moved to Ohio nursing for best response.
- 0Apr 17, '13 by notallwhowanderYou can apply when you're close to your graduation/NCLEX date, some hospitals will still hire you "tentatively" and give you a start date for after you're scheduled to take your NCLEX. But if you fail NCLEX, no job (or if somebody is being kind, a delayed start date). I'd say to go ahead and apply since you already have your ADN.
- 0Apr 18, '13 by charli_appleRNWhen I was at a clinical site in greater cleveland, I met a new grad who had gotten a job before taking NCLEX. She was dressed as a PCA but her name tag said student nurse and she was working beside an RN in the ER. I've also seen a few job posting for student nurses that require you to be so far along in the program
- 0Apr 24, '13 by HeartNursing3Quote from itsnoworneverIn Ohio, you must pass the NCLEX to work as a RN. There is no temporary or interim permit in between graduation and passing.Does Ohio offer an interim permit? Some places hire you with it, but as far as I know you still can't do much and if you fail NCLEX, you loose your job.
Posting from my phone, ease forgive my fat thumbs!