Galen College of Nursing - Cincinnati, OH.Register Today!
- by Tim92 Nov 25, '10Hello, I will be 19 years old in June 2011 when I graduate high school, I currently have my STNA and I am wanting to attend Galen College of Nursing. I am very curious about their admission. Is it hard to get into? what are the requirements? Do they have a certain GPA needed to be admitted? Also, any information about admission or the school in general would be awesome! Thanks in advance!
- 2,897 Views
- Nov 30, '10 by Tim92Does anybody have any information on Galen that could be helpful?
- Dec 1, '10 by actioncatHi, I don't have any inside skinny. I just looked at their web site. They are a private for- profit nursing school. It looks like it would cost in excess of 30,000 dollars to get your Associates in nursing. That seems excessive to me. Like all for profit institutions they do not offer any financial aid from their own funds-- just help you get federal financial aid and private loans. I would guess that the admission requirements would not be too tough-- it looks like they require a minimum of 19 on the ACT.
I'm sure that you could start there more quickly than at a public institution, but do you really want to spend that kind of money? There is not guarantee of a nursing job when you get out.
- Dec 1, '10 by actioncatAlso, I checked out their NCLEX passage rates on the BON web site. They must be a kind of new school-- only had rates for 2009 and 2010. 2009 overall rate was 70%, 2010 was 64%.
Those are poor numbers.
- Dec 4, '10 by Tim92Hmm, thanks for the info. I really appreciate it! =)
- Dec 7, '10 by actioncatgood luck! Just want to add-- I just think it is really important not to build up too much debt to become a nurse. Like I said, there is no guarantee of a job and you definitely do not want to be in a position where you take any job or have to base your decision primarily on the pay. You could find yourself in a situation where your license is on the line every day or at the very least you find yourself saying with some frequency "I hate my life."!
- Dec 7, '10 by elkparkAlso, Galen is not NLNAC accredited, or regionally accredited as an academic institution, which can create problems for you later on in your career.
- Dec 11, '10 by Tim92That's great too know! Thank you both!
- Dec 29, '10 by keepThere classes do not transfer so any classes may need retaken if you want a BSN latter. As far as having dealt with them in three states TX it really good Louisville is good and i was tought if you have nothing good to say .... they are a newer program in the Cincinnati area so i would take a wait and see attitude.
- Oct 11, '11 by Tim92Thank you everyone!