Become an STNA while in RN school?Register Today!
- by JulieS451 Nov 6, '11Hello everyone! I will be starting Lakeland CC's program in Fall 2012. What I've been hearing from grads is that they are not finding many jobs without patient experience. Has anyone else done an STNA program and worked as an assistant while in school? Where did you do the STNA program? Was it hard to work as an assistant while in school? Thank you for your time!
- Nov 6, '11 by ScottE,RNAfter your first semester of nursing school you'll be able to challenge the Ohio STNA exam. It's kind of pointless to take a separate STNA course.
- Nov 6, '11 by JulieS451Thank you so much, ScottE. I thought maybe working part time as an STNA now would help in the future when looking. But I wouldn't want to invest in a program that isn't necessary.
- Nov 7, '11 by ScottE,RNQuote from JulieS451Thank you so much, ScottE. I thought maybe working part time as an STNA now would help in the future when looking. But I wouldn't want to invest in a program that isn't necessary.
Working as an STNA is a good idea. Just watch that you don't pick up any bad habits. I'm just saying it's pointless to spend $ on a STNA class when the first week or so of nursing school likely will cover the same material and you'll be able to sit for the STNA exam after your first semester.
- Nov 14, '11 by jennylouwhoI think you don't even have to go through the entire first semester, at least at LCCC, it's only like the first half.
- Nov 14, '11 by JulieS451Thanks!
- Nov 14, '11 by ScottE,RNQuote from jennylouwhoI think you don't even have to go through the entire first semester, at least at LCCC, it's only like the first half.
Well you have to submit a transcript showing successful completion of whatever fundamentals/basic skills program your program has. Unless that course is a 5 or 8 week program at LCCC it's going to take an entire semester.
Here is a link to the testing agency. The forms basically outline what you need to do/submit.
- Nov 14, '11 by snickers21Great info Scott, thanks for the link. The counselor tried to talk me into taking the STNA courses while I wait for clinicals...I think not!
- Nov 14, '11 by jennylouwhoThe professormsigns a paper, two of my classmates did it. It's a 16 week class and they had to be through so much before they could do it.
- Nov 15, '11 by snickers21Good to know jennylouwho. I will remember that if I ever get into the program.