Prep for vaginal DeliveryRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Prep for vaginal Delivery in Ob/Gyn Nursing, part of Nursing Specialties ... My hospital is looking into changing from the traditional betadine prep for vag delivery to soap...by Goodlaura6 Nov 9, '12My hospital is looking into changing from the traditional betadine prep for vag delivery to soap and water (or even no prep at all). I cannot find any research on this, anyone have any data that can help me put together our policy with the most up-to-date information? What do you use in your hospital (vag delivery only)??? Do you have some data to back up your use (or non-use) of vaginal prep? Thanks!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=796732©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 2,399 Views
- Nov 9, '12 by FyreflieWhat prep? For vag deliveries? None of my 3 jobs have used any kind of prep for vag deliveries! I didn't know anywhere did that I'm sure acog would have something. Google?
- Nov 10, '12 by NCtravelJenWhy prep for vaginal deliveries? That went the way of enemas in labor, not necessary. Women have been having babies for thousands of years without having their vaginas "prepped", LOL.
- Nov 11, '12 by melmarie23yeah I have been on 3 different LDRP units and none have "prepped" for vaginal deliveries
- Nov 12, '12 by mjs2118We do! Betadine! Right when the doctor walks in, before the baby is out.
- Nov 12, '12 by anggelRNMy old unit did betadine. I didn't really like it because we used a large betadine bottle. That betadine would be used for about 10 or more moms before it was used up. A travel nurse never used betadine but used the single use soap and sponges that come in the plastic packets.
I personally think good pericare throughout labor in general is a good idea, not just at delivery.
- Nov 12, '12 by AlikatzQuote from mjs2118We do the same thing.We do! Betadine! Right when the doctor walks in, before the baby is out.
- Nov 12, '12 by JStitt01L&DWe use betadine, it comes in a sterile single large swab that they prep the vagina with right before delivery.
- Nov 13, '12 by knufflebunnyWe use betadine
- Nov 13, '12 by katrn73Betadine or hibaclens