"OB" ACLS?? Anyone heard of this? - page 2
by enfermeraSG 12,854 Views | 25 Comments
Hi all, Our dept has finally decided to require all L&D nurses to be cert in ACLS. We slid by without it before because we have an anesthesiologist and CRNA exclusively available to us 24/7. Anyway, they are requiring we take... Read More
- 1Apr 27, '08 by LittleLisaLawrenceQuote from EricEnfermeroHere's the link.... http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/c...rses/also.htmlI'm interested in knowing more, but a search of the AHA website didn't turn up anything for me. Can you post a link where we can get more information?
- 0Apr 29, '08 by hrobrncHi, Just wanted to comment on the requirement for ACLS in OB. I have worked for the last ten years in a level three OB unit. It has always been a requirement at my hospital for all L andD and Antepartum nurses to have current ACLS certification. By this I mean regular ACLS not OB-ACLS. We take the same class as EMT's Doctors , etc. The reasoning is that we utilize a recovery room with patients who receive general anesthesia as well as spinals. The main OR/PACU requires ACLS for their nursing staff, so the standard should be the same for all OR's in the hospital.
When I took my first ACLS I sure wish it was geared toward OB. It was one of the more stressful requirement. :typing
- 0Oct 12, '08 by glimpsesI've heard several docs highly recommend the ALSO (Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics) course for L&D nurses. Here's the link: http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/c...rses/also.html
Has anyone ever taken ALSO and what were your experiences? Was it helpful? What is covered in the course?
- 0Oct 13, '08 by zinker35861I took the ACLS OB in Boise ID about 2 months ago. It's straight ACLS with added OB content. Nothing is left out but you actually have 6 added hours of OB stuff added. You get the Americal Heart ACLS card at the end. There is no mention of the OB part on the card. Americal Heart is looking very closely at this program and there was a representative at my particular class that was there to check it out. I took regular ACLS recently and I thought the ACLS OB was very good and our facility is going to make it mandatory for all our L&D staff.
- 0May 31, '09 by LuvofNursingQuote from zinker35861i went to the link listed in the top response in this thread, but it actually does not list where you can get this certification. does anyone know where it is offered or how i can find out where it is offered?st lukes hospital in boise id has this course. here's the link www.stlukesonline.org/aclsob. hope this is helpful.