MS in Minwifery vs. MS in NursingRegister Today!
- by anaklod May 4, '12Hi, Nurses!
I need a help.I'am about to apply to SUNY and I don't know what to choose -MS in midwifery or MS in Nursing with concentration in Midwifery.Could someone explain what is the difference?
- May 5, '12 by kloneWhich school? Is it Stony Brook?
- May 6, '12 by anaklodSUNY Downsate
- May 6, '12 by futurehomebirthcnmIt was kind of hard to find, but I think this is your answer:
Nurse Midwifery Program
"Nurses can choose either an MS in Midwifery or Nurse Midwifery. The Nurse Midwifery option requires a Bachelors in Nursing."
So if you come in with a BS in something besides nursing, your MS would be in Midwifery, and if you have a BSN you'd graduate with a MS in Nurse Midwifery.
There's also a PDF that explains it in more detail:
- May 7, '12 by anaklodI understood, that if I have Bachelor in Nursing I can pick or MS in Miswifery or MS in Nursing with concentration in Midwifery.The difference is that with MS in Midwifeery you can't practice in all states
With a prior Master’s degree in nursing:
graduates can practice midwifery in most
states, but may depend on concentration of
No restrictions.Graduates can practice
midwifery in all 50 states
Without a Master’s degree in nursing:
graduates can practice in 47 states. South
Carolina, Virginia and the state of
Washington require a Master’s degree in
nursing. Other states vary in the types of
Master’s degrees they will acceptTwo states require Master’s degree in
nursing for prescriptive authority; Hawaii
requires Master’s in clinical nursing or
nursing science and Oklahoma requires
Master’s degree in clinical nurse specialty
No restrictions.Graduates have prescripti
authority in all states
May teach in any midwifery program that is
not in a College or School of Nursing and
may teach in some midwifery programs in
Colleges/Schools of Nursing,
althoughColleges/Schools of Nursing may
require a Master’s degree in nursing for
No restrictions. Graduates can teach in
midwifery programs and any type of
College or School, including Nursing