Magnesium sulfate infusionRegister Today!
- by massbaby Dec 7, '09Wondering.. Does anyone have a reliable source for this question When running Iv magnesium sulfate and oxytocin whcih one is hooked to closest port. So this this is a mainline with magnesium sulfate piggybacked and oxytocin so three pumps are on . I have been taught for 15 yrs mainline closest port is oxytocin and magnesium sulafate one port above. Even though controlled by pump major discussion about which one the "mag" or "pit" should be oncloseest port. Any help would be really appreciated want toput to rest oh yeah no policy on this in hosp thanks
- Dec 7, '09 by bagladyrnI always put the pitocin in the lowest port so that if it needed to be dc'd for maternal or fetal problems there will be a minimal amount of pitocin remaining in the mainline tubing still being infused. While magnesium may similarly have to be dc'd, there isn't quite as much effect from the remaining mls in the tubing.
- Dec 7, '09 by massbabyYES THANK YOU iWAS TAUGHT THE SAME FOR SAME REASON ALWAYS OXYTOCIN ON LOW PORT NEW NURSES TELLING ME MGSO4 LOWER DO YOU ALWAYS RUN A MAINLINE IB MAG AND IV PIT ON THREE PUMPS FO FLUID CONTROL
- Dec 7, '09 by bagladyrnYes all 3 on pumps as this is the only way to get a truly accurate I&O. Yes, I can calculate a drip rate on a free flowing mainline, but not to the same degree of accuracy.
- Dec 7, '09 by massbabyThank you us ob nurses need to support each other
- Dec 7, '09 by ldcmw1I was taught the same way Pitocin on the closest port. You should always always have all your fluids on a pump when running Mag Sulfate. Especially if they are on Mag for PIH! I've never worked anywhere that it hasn't been the case.
- Dec 8, '09 by adal52I always put Pitocin at lowest port with all infusions on individual pumps. Also, the doctors generally have precise orders as to total fluid intake hourly.
- Dec 9, '09 by massbabyThank you i agree i am a real stickler about i/o has anyone had or seen a policy on two line when running mag-pit and mainline i had ones anes insist on two lines he was older and wanted it for possible or/stat reeasons
- Feb 28, '10 by zahryiaFor postpartum moms, would it be contraindicated to run pitocin as the main line (as opposed to LR)?
- Jul 12, '10 by Valerie RN, BSNAt the hospital that I work at we have to have 2 iv sites if we are running mag and pit together.