Do GYN's treat a bladder infection? | allnurses

Do GYN's treat a bladder infection?

  1. 0 In future I would like to help women to get rid of this infection. I know how annoying it can be. I'm not sure if its more for for Gyn's or urologist
  2. Visit  sirenatas profile page

    About sirenatas

    Joined Jun '10; Posts: 5.

    11 Comments so far...

  3. Visit  DuluthMike profile page
    I certainly do not go to a gyn for any UTI's
  4. Visit  TwilightRNurse profile page
    GYN's certainly do treat UTI's but mostly for pregnant patients. A non pregnant patient should go to their PCP or urologist to be treated.
  5. Visit  caroladybelle profile page
    Virtually any prescriber can generally treat an uncomplicated UTI - no specialist necessary.
  6. Visit  Nicole2010 profile page
    I worked GYN for 10 yrs. We treated UTIs, esp since many women who never had one couldn't tell the difference between a UTI and a yeast infection or HSV II outbreak.
  7. Visit  cnmbfa profile page
    Some (not all) OBs and CNMs know a lot about UTIs. and would have enough sense to get a workup done if you had > 3 UTIs in 6 months. They would then refer you (possibly) to a urogynecologist, who knows a lot about UTIs in WOMEN, as opposed to a general urologist, who may treated primarily men.

    Going to a urologist first before a workup has been done + a trial of post-sex antibiotics, or possibly a once a day antibiotics for a month, seems a bit hasty. Recurrent UTIs often have something to do with an anatomical issue that allows urine to pool. One cause of this may be pelvic organ prolapse, or low estrogen levels in older women, so a good gyn exam and then treatment of the underlying cause is warranted first.
  8. Visit  JennNJ83 profile page
    A gyn or Pcp can treat a UTI or bladder infection, but if they are recurring, they should see a specailist and find the underlying cause.
  9. Visit  CEG profile page
    Yep, all the time. I think a gyn or CNM is the place to start because often UTI symptoms are similar to reproductive symptoms (yeast, bv, sti's, PID) so it's good to rule those out if they are a possibility.
  10. Visit  michelle126 profile page
    I would think so...I had UTI while pregnant..all the s/s, but I had to encourage my doc to treat it with the right drugs.
  11. Visit  sirenatas profile page
    Wow, I had 3 infections for the last year, now Im really concerned. Gotta find some good urogynecologist.
  12. Visit  AshleyOB profile page
    Yes, OB/GYN's treat uti's, acute and chronic. After all, it's a primary care specialty nowadays. With recurrent UTI symptoms, this is a patient that certainly does not require a urogynecologist, but a visit with the gynecologist, as a) it may require long-term suppression/prophylaxis after culture proven infection and treatment, b) the patient needs to be evaluated for possible interstitial cystitis or even endometriosis, both of which can mimic UTI type symptoms, it's one of the reasons we don't just call in antibiotics for UTI's without checking urines.

    Seeing a Urogynecologist might be a little overkill, Urogynecologist's specialize in pelvic floor abnormalities and reconstruction, including but not limited to pelvic floor relaxation, incontinence, fistula repairs, etc, and certainly any good gynecologist can perform a thorough evaluation for recurrent cystitis, if in fact, that's the problem.
  13. Visit  vindy profile page
    Quote from sirenatas
    Wow, I had 3 infections for the last year, now Im really concerned. Gotta find some good urogynecologist.

    I would say to see your primary health care provider or your GYN. My Primary HCP referred me to a urologist's office (months ago) because I had 5 UTI's last year. I am currently on a prophylaxis (not giving medical advice) and I also had an US of my kidneys which came back normal...Good Luck!

Nursing Jobs in every specialty and state. Visit today and find your dream job.

Visit Our Sponsors