What are some of the things being done to reduce readmissions?Register Today!
- by LearningAboutNursing Aug 16, '12I am wondering what hospitals are doing currently to reduce readmissions? How does one identify what is not working for their hospital/department/unit and leading to readmissions?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=772505©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 567 Views
- Aug 16, '12 by linzjane88Two homework questions in one night? !Last edit by Esme12 on Aug 17, '12
- Aug 17, '12 by Esme12MOved to student assistance.
Welcome to AN! The largest online nursing community!
We are happy to help with homework but we will not do it for you. What so you have so far?
- Aug 17, '12 by LearningAboutNursingDischarge planning, remote monitoring, post discharge calls and visits etc are some of the few things that come up as part of my research. Different hospitals are doing it differently and seeing different impacts by utilizing some of the above mentioned improvements. However, statistics are usually based on overall readmission prevention improvement without clear information on which step reduced readmission by what percentage.
- Aug 20, '12 by LearningAboutNursingPlease share your input/thoughts.
- Aug 20, '12 by Esme12Google is your friend.....Let me google that for you
Readmissions Reduction Program Background
Section 3025 of the Affordable Care Act added section 1886(q) to the Social Security Act establishing the Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program, which requires CMS to reduce payments to IPPS hospitals with excess readmissions, effective for discharges beginning on October 1, 2012. The regulations that implement this provision are in subpart I of 42 CFR part 412 (§412.150 through §412.154).
Go to both of these links and they will give you what you need.....including quality measure calculations.
Also go to the AHRQ..The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) is the lead Federal agency charged with improving the quality, safety, efficiency, and effectiveness of patient quality care and establishing standards of practice.
These will help you ALOT!