nursing specialtiesRegister Today!
- by sj73201 Jan 17, '11HELLO, hello everyone!
I am a nursing student in the second semester of my junior year (one yr left, YAY). I have noticed that almost everyone I know in the nursing program have an interest in ICU or ED. I wish to go into oncology, L & D, mother baby, women's health...Besides ICU, ED, what other specialties would you all like to go into??
- Jan 17, '11 by JustBeachyNurseMental Health/Psychiatric (a fascinating specialty to me)
Rehabilitation (Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation) (very interesting clinical rotation)
Wound Care (one of my main interests)
there is also substance abuse/recovery
public health nursing (not a high paying specialty by any means)
My sister went for pediatrics/pediatric emergency care. She later got certified to inspect day care centers/nursery schools for her state, worked in pediatric preventative health (child abuse & neglect prevention/evaluation nurse for child protective services) and now teaches pediatrics at the BSN level.
- Jan 17, '11 by nurse simmyI'm one of the few in my class who does not want to go into ICU, or ED, or even Peds. I absolutely loved the psych rotation, but I am also drawn to hospice. So much of what we've been learning is how to keep people alive, and sometimes it is just time to let them go. It is important to me to help people have a "good" death and help the family cope with their loss.
But to be honest, I will probably take any job I can find, which will probably be a general med/surg floor.
My long term goal is to be a nursing instructor, and my director told me that a strong med/surg background is what she looks for when hiring.
- Jan 17, '11 by CAT-CNAHello to you too! I am not in nursing school yet--taking prereqs--but i would love to do L&D, mother-baby, or wound care, wounds are interesting :-)
- Jan 17, '11 by ImThatGuyI think our majority want to work in OB with some in NICU then general peds and finally insurance. One wants to go CRNA, and I want to, even if I have to go back to my old/current career, avoid specialties where the patient contacts last more than a few hours, lol.
- Jan 17, '11 by lrobinson5I'm not sure! I'm waiting to see each specialty firsthand so I don't put my foot in my mouth :P
I think the go-to specialty is mother-baby because babies are so cuddly and cute. Any part of that you would think is enjoyable!
- Jan 17, '11 by pitayaGlobal Health.
That is the whole reason I got into it in the first place.
- Jan 18, '11 by mfranciscoI am going into my second semester. I am interested in Neuro and/or Oncology. I am interested in working with patients with brain tumors. I am very excited to be doing my Neuro rotation in the second half of this upcoming semester.
- Jan 18, '11 by Jingles39I'm also just pre-nursing, but I can't imagine working anywhere else other than oncology....ok, maybe a little bit of hospice thrown in on the side....but other than that, it's oncology all the way.
- Jan 18, '11 by mamabear4I am also a nursing student and have been a CNA for a long time. I always enjoyed LTC and ALF but since I have to have hospital experience I am REALLY interested in OR. I don't honestly think I could work L&D, even though I love babies, or peds.