I am having trouble prioritizing my five nursing diagnoses. Patient is one day post-op c-section with 500ml fluid loss. This is my order:
1. Acute pain r/t abdominal incision
2. Risk of fluid volume deficit r/t blood loss secondary to cesarean delivery and postpartum complication.
3. Risk of infection potential r/t abdominal incision secondary to cesarean birth.
4. Risk of GI function alteration r/t motility & decreased activity level a/e/b lack of bowel movement
5. Potential knowledge deficit of self-care needs r/t Post cesarean section delivery.
I felt that acute pain took priority over fluid volume deficit due to the "risk of" part.
Feb 10, '13
The only comment I have, because I think you should think this through yourself, is that it does not appear the g.i. function alteration is a "risk" if the pt has not had a bowel movement and you would have expected one based on your history taking. The fvd also may or may not be a "risk" depending whether or not the patient is hemodynamically stable with a 500 cc fluid loss?
Last edit by Roseyposey on Feb 10, '13
: Reason: always have more to say; happy fingers