Help with calculating flow rateRegister Today!
- by EmilyEmily Mar 151. A 50 mL IV is to infuse in 15 minutes. The set calibration is 15gtt/mL. After 5 minutes, the IV contains 40 mL. Calculate the flow rate to deliver the volume on time.
2. An IV of 1000mL is ordered to run at 25mL/hr using a microdrip setLast edit by EmilyEmily on Mar 15
- Mar 15 by Esme12We are happy to help with home work but we will not do it for you....show us what you think the answer is and show me how you got that answer so I can know where best to help you.
This web site may help you. DosageHelp.com - Helping Nursing Students Learn Dosage Calculations
- Mar 15 by EmilyEmilyI keep coming up with the wrong answer I just need someone to explain it to me by setting it up
- Mar 15 by EmilyEmily1. 40mL/10min x 15gtt--I get the wrong answer for this
2. 975mL x 60 min ??
- Mar 15 by KelRN215Quote from EmilyEmilyOk, look at what you are doing here.1. 40mL/10min x 15gtt--I get the wrong answer for this
2. 975mL x 60 min ??
For #1, You need to infuse 40 mL in 10 min, I agree. So what does that mean, 4 mL/min, right?
So 4 mL/min x your drop factor of 15 gtts/mL = ? gtts/min.
For #2, where are you getting 975 mL from? Your problem is:
An IV of 1000mL is ordered to run at 25mL/hr using a microdrip set
Why would you subtract 25 mL from 1000 mL? That is not a step to figure this out.
Do you know what a microdrip set is? You need to know that to work this problem.
You don't say in this question what they are looking for- the gtts/min? If so, the 1,000 mL is irrelevant. You are running an IV at 25 mL/hr. How do you get from that to drops/min?
- Mar 16 by Esme12DosageHelp.com - Helping Nursing Students Learn Dosage Calculations - Volume/Time - IV Drop Rate Questions
Volume(mL) Time (min) x Drop Factor (gtts/mL) = Y (Flow Rate in gtts/min) ..
10min x 15gtts/1ml = _____gtts/min
(40ml divided by 10min = 4ml then that answer 4ml x (times) 15gtts (the gtt rate) Will give you 60 gtts/min.
For the second......define what a micro gtt is...what is the gtt factor for a micro gtt?
60min (60 min to 1 hour) x 60ggts/min = _____ml/cc/hrLast edit by Esme12 on Mar 16