food temperature?Register Today!
- by fitore Jan 16How Celcius degree should be served food, to a patient with swallowing problems.Last edit by fitore on Jan 16
- Jan 17 by GrnTeaHowever, there are two things that make the swallowing reflex work better.
Taste: a sharp taste stimulates the reflex better than a bland one; orange juice better than milk
Temperature: room-temperature is the least stimulating temperature. Cold (ice cream, sherbet, iced drinks) or hot (not hot enough to burn) will work better.
- GrTea you know I love ya...LOL.......All sources recommend room slightly above or below room temperature foods for they can't manipulate the hot/cold food around in their mouth and in their attempt to move the food they aspirate.....or if there is decreased sensation the danger is burning/scalding the oral cavity/mucous membranes.
http://www.brainline.org/content/201...y_pageall.htmlLast edit by Esme12 on Jan 17
- Jan 17 by GrnTeaAll the speech-language pathology folks recommend stimulating the swallow reflex as many ways as is safely possible. We may be saying the same things in different ways.
- LOL....I'm sure we are......
- Jan 18 by Esme12.......