I appreciate anyone willing to take the opportunity to help me with this. I'm still reading and searching.
"During your first week on the job at the city's free clinic...You meet dwight a 53 year old overweight white man with several obvious problems. Dwight's feet are cracked and blstered and he has 3 infected toenails. (he tells you he's been homeless for the past 10 years for various periods). There are seeping sores in the folds of his wrists and under his arms. His gums are bleeding. He is here because he has greatly confused over the past 8 months and it seems to be getting worse. he has episodes of ranting and raving. he reports feeling crazy and being really scared. his friends brought him to the clinic and are waiting outside.
The supervising physician quickly joins you in the examining room. Together you examine dwight thouroughly and make a plan addressing his pressing needs for wound care. The DR. starts asking him about his health history. Dwight reveals very little, saying his memory is very bad. But he talks a lot about his past sexual exploits.
1. the dr. speaks with you in the hallway. he tells you mental illness is very common among the homeless population. dwight needs a thorough pcyc evaluation. The Dr. is fairly sure that some of dwight's neural symptoms are caused by an STD infection. which one? caused by which org?
2. If the blood comes back +, does it mean that dwight can transmit the disease to thers? Explain
3. Should dwight be treated w/antibiotics to remeady his neural symptoms?why or why not?
4. The patients blood came back +. For what other infectios disease should he now be tested?
5. the dr. tells you to expect to see more of these cases in the future. but a coworker, who graduated from nursing school
10 years ago, tells you that this disease (especially in later forms is rather rare and is decreasing in incidence.who is right ? explain.
Ok...i've been searching, and i believe it's neral syphlis. i'm uncertain about the bleeding gums and wrists tho...schankers? Maybe signs of crack cocaine use? Crack users supposedly are more suseptible. As far as being treated w/antibiotics...I thought damaged nural tissue is unrepairable? Does anyone know which other infectious diseases he should be treated for?
I'm not asking anyone to write the paper for me..Just perhaps throw me a bone or two