Best shoes ever?
- 0Aug 23, '06 by redraccoonI've had it. My feet hate me. After another long day in the OR they are ready to sue for divorce.
I need some new shoes!!
This time I'm prepared to spend some money to get a really decent pair of shoes that will be comfortable, supportive, and last. Fashion isn't an issue - I need comfort more than anything.
So... what shoes do you recommend, why, and what is the price range??
Your input is greatly appreciated!!
- 525,883 Views
- 0Aug 23, '06 by suzy253I feel your pain. After Danskos, New Balance which of course are quite good, I found I needed more support, especially on the ball of the foot. Standing all day long was taking its toll. I found these shoes by Reebok called Actuator. I was dubious at first.....but what I like about these is they have that spongy cushiony bit in the front as well as the back. I got these at Zappos.com and so far my feet are very happy. I've received compliments on them too which I was surprised b/c they look a bit weird to me but like you, I just needed something!!!
- 0Aug 23, '06 by athena55Hello redraccon!
Wow, well my all time favorite, most comfortable nursing shoes in this galaxy are called: Clinics. Used to be sold opposite MACY*S on 34th Street in NYC. Waaaay back in the day. Having a hard time finding anything that resembles them. They were all white, with shoelaces, made of leather, kind of resembled old fashioned nursing shoes. I still have a pair, but they are there to remind me of when I first entered nursing.
Now I wear Army boots (smile) BUT my second pair of nursing shoes would be: Clogs. The wooden kind, not the kind that you can throw in the washing machine. Kind of expensive, if I recall.
Here is one website that you could check out:
I have had many people tell me how comfortable white sneakers/tennis shoes are, but IMHO I don't think they look professional at all.
Good Luck in your search for the perfect nursing shoe.
- 0Aug 23, '06 by neetnik461When my daughter played basketball in high school (a couple of years ago) we made several visits to our local orthopedic (foot and ankle) specialist. He advised her to wear New Balance as her day to day tennis shoes, claiming that they had the best arch support and foot support of all the shoes on the market. Needless to say, my teenage daughter wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of New Balance . . . but . . . I remembered this advice when I went back to college and started nursing clinicals almost 3 years ago and it has paid off!!
I swear by New Balance, walking shoes (not running, jogging, cross training etc . . .but walking shoes). Because what do you during the entire shift but walk! The pair I bought as a student lasted 8 months into my first job before they wore out. I recently bought another pair on sale at a local department store for 45.00. New Balance tends to carry just a couple of styles of walking shoes and they tend to be all white (which I prefer anyway). They are a little square toed and not the most stylish, but they are comfortable to wear and support my feet great.
- 0Aug 23, '06 by suzy253Quote from athena55Something like these Dansko's perhaps?Having a hard time finding anything that resembles them. They were all white, with shoelaces, made of leather, kind of resembled old fashioned nursing shoes. I still have a pair, but they are there to remind me of when I first entered nursing.
- 0Aug 23, '06 by glascowI agree with lindsey. I love my crocs! They are the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn to work.
I bet half of the staff where I work wears them. They're contagious! I have a pair in 4 different colors. There kind of ugly, but once you get used to of the look thier kind of cute
- 1Aug 23, '06 by Surgical Hrt RNQuote from lindsey922:yeahthat: I have tried everything from Danskos to Birks. Crocs are THE best shoes ever!!!!!! I have a bad knee and plantar fascitis (sp?) in one foot and after even 16 hours......zero pain! And, at $30 a pair....you can't beat it! I got almost the whole ICU wearing them where I work! :chuckleI like Crocs. You can get them at http://www.uniformhaven.com and click on the Crocs link at the top. If you haven't tried any yet you really need to. I love mine!