new grad..I beg your honest critique for my resume..pls
- 0May 8, '13 by hopeseeker23well i graduate jan 2012.. took almost a year to prepare for nclex and passed it last january..i know it took a while due to personal reasons..but anyway please critique my resume, it's my first time doing it please..
note: i apologize for the horrible format and spacing, i just pasted my resume from my word doc. and im still experimenting at this site since im new
- To obtain position as Licensed Vocational Nurse in (place)
- Grossmont Health Occupations Center (Regional Occupations Program), Santee, CA 01/2012
Vocational Nurse Diploma
- National City Adult School, National City, CA 10/2009
Nursing Assistant Certification
CERTIFICATION &LICENSING________________________________________ ________________________
- Licensed Vocational Nurse
- American Heart Association (AHA) BLS for Healthcare Providers ( CPR & AED )
- IV Therapy and Blood Withdrawal Certification
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support ( ACLS ) Certification
- Knowledge of principles, procedures, methods and techniques based on the LVN scope of practice
- Experienced Certified Nurse Assistant with recent work on long term care management of surgical, rehabilitative, geriatric , psychiatric & hospice clients
- Maintain strong assessment, planning , diagnosis, implementation and evaluation skills essential to providing competent client care
- Caring, compassionate and patient
- Culturally sensitive
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills
- Effective verbal and written communication
- Utilizes system approach for quick and reliable judgment, decision making and problem solving
- Loyal and dedicated employee; committed to doing a good job and running the extra mile
- Eager to learn new nursing methods, equipments and applications
- Values timely administrations of medications, assessments and documentations
- Consistently take initiative to complete assignments with minimal guidance and supervision
- Strong sense of self-confidence and comprehensive knowledge of company goals.
- Motivate and inspire, providing solid foundation for teamwork
- Hard working and energetic; adapts easily to change, stressful environment and flexible work schedule
- Assist clients with daily living activities ( bathing, grooming, dressing, feeding, ambulation)
- Transfer clients using mechanical sitting and standing lifts with safety precautions
- Assemble and use equipments such as catheters, gastric tubes, tracheotomy tubes, incentive spirometers, bladder scanners and oxygen suppliers
- Provide direct care by assessing client needs and contributing in planning of care by utilizing direction from the Registered Nurse
- Maintain accurate patient records and maintain confidentiality at all times
- Take and record patients vital signs
- Document and communicate client data to ensure continuity of care
*Developmental Disability Care
TheArc of San Diego for Children and Adults with Disabilities, SanDiego, CA 01/2012
- Immunization Services
Kaiser Permanente La Mesa Medical Offices, La Mesa, CA 12/2011
Kaiser Permanente Bostonia Medical Offices, El Cajon, CA 11/2011
- OB/GYN Care
Kaiser Permanente Vandever Medical Offices, San Diego, CA 11/2011-12/2011
- Pediatric CarE
Kaiser Permanente Bonita Medical Offices, Bonita, CA 10/2011-11/2011
- Geriatric/ Psychiatric Long Term Care
Edgemoor Geriatric Hospital of San Diego County, Santee, CA 04/2011-06/2011
- Sub-Acute/ Med-Surg Care
Alvarado Hospital Medical Center/San Diego Rehabilitation Institute, San Diego, CA 01/2011-03/2011
- Geriatric Long Term Care
- Mt. Miguel Covenant Village Health Facility, Spring Valley, CA 09/2010- 01/2011
- Mt. Miguel Covenant Village Health Facility, Spring Valley, CA 09/2010- 01/2011
- Kaiser Permanente Immunization Drive 2011
- Freddy's Angels Community Outreach Program
- The Philippine Nurses Association of San Diego ( PNASD ) FilAm Festival 2010
First Aid, Health Screening & Community Awareness Team
- Certified Nursing Assistant, Fredericka Manor Care Center , Chula Vista, CA 01/2010 Present
Honors: National Nursing Assistant's Week 2012 Certificate of Appreciation
- Assist clients with Activities of Daily Living in variety of clinical settings
( Dementia/Alzheimers, Rehabilitation, Long Term & Hospice Care)
Effective collaboration with registered nurses,speech therapists and rehabilitation team
Closely monitor and report changes in client's condition and malfunctioning in medical equipments
Promptly answer calls for assistance
Accurately monitor vital signs and intake/output ; collect specimens
Perform assessments under nurse's supervision
Proper bed-making and room maintenance in accordance to facility and safety standards
Escort clients to appointments, recreation and exercise room
Serve food trays for prescribed diet
Assist in client admission, transportation and discharge
Implemented facility's core values :costumer satisfaction, integrity in relationships,
fiscal responsibility, teamwork & trust, individual initiative ,expression & creativity
- Clerk Assistant, Vons, San Diego, CA 08/2008 10/2008
Cardboard management and floor maintenance to ensure costumer safety
- Service Crew, Mcdonalds, Vallejo, CA 04/2008-06/2008
Built loyalclientele through friendly interactions and consistent appreciation
Maintained high standards of costumer service of costumer service during high-volume fast-paced operations.
Last edit by hopeseeker23 on May 8, '13
- Toastmasters International ( Chula Vista 108)
Non-profiteducational organization that operates clubs worldwide for purpose ofhelping
members improve their communication, public speaking andleadership skills
- 0May 8, '13 by BayatNot exectly the best, but hopefully you'll get an idea or two. The main thing is punch up your clinicals and your CNA experience. To save room, the work from 2008 can be dropped off as they're not career related. Be sure to go over and talor your specfic skills, knowledge, and abilities to show your true self. Like the others' said- keep it short an pithy. An employer will spend about 7 seconds on a resume before deciding it goes to the short list or not. So make every word count.
Me Myself Eye, LVNLicensed Vocational Nurse with CNA experience
Street City, State ZIP Phone email
Three years as CNA with focus on Dementia/Alzheimer's, Rehabilitation, Long Term & Hospice Care, and with a newly credentialed LVN license in <State>. Desire a full-time <position name> LVN position in a <type> environment.PROFESSIONAL PROFILE Disciplined, energetic employee who quickly establishes rapport with patients and colleagues.
Self-motivated service-focused professional seeking to leverage both experience and education.
Exceptional capacity to multi-task: manage numerous, often competing priorities with ease and foster the provision of superior patient care.LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONSLicensed Vocational Nurse in state of California, License number <number?>
BLS for Healthcare Providers ( CPR & AED ) certified through American Heart Association, <date?>
IV Therapy and Blood Withdrawal certified through <issuer?>, <date?>
Advanced Cardiac Life Support ( ACLS ) certified through <issuer?>, <date?>SKILL HIGHLIGHTS. . . Patient health/safety. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Patient interaction
. . . Medical devices/Equipment . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Infection control
. . . Emergencies . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Team collaboration
. . . Patient education. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Strong medical ethicEDUCATIONGROSSMONT HEALTH OCCUPATIONS CENTER, Vocational Nurse Diploma . . . . 01/2012
. . . Coursework in [<Course Name>]
NATIONAL CITY ADULT SCHOOL, Nursing Assistant Certification . . . . . . . . . . 10/2009CLINICAL EXPERIENCEDevelopmental Disability . Arc of San Diego. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .01/2012 xx hrs
Immunization. . . . . . . . . . Kaiser Permanente La Mesa. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12/2011 xx hrs
Immunization. . . . . . . . . . Kaiser Permanente Bostonia. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .11/2011 xx hrs
OB/GYN . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Kaiser Permanente Vandever. . . . . . . .11/2011 - 12/2011 xx hrs
Pediatric. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Kaiser Permanente Bonita. . . . . . . . . .10/2011 - 11/2011 xx hrs
Geriatric/ Psychiatric LTC Edgemoor Geriatric Hospital . . . . . . . . 04/2011 - 06/2011 xx hrs
Sub-Acute/ Med-Surg . . . Alvarado Hospital Medical Center . . . . .01/2011 - 03/2011 xx hrs
Geriatric LTC . . . . . . . . . . Mt Miguel Covenant Village Health Facility 09/2010 - 01/2011 xx hrs
. . . Use action verbs to begin sentences.
. . . Focus on the populations you have treated and include the diagnosis.
. . . Be specific regarding treatments and give examples when applicable.
. . . Show rather than tell your experience.
. . . What did you learn, develop, or teach to patients and their families?PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCEFREDERICKA MANOR CARE CENTER, Chula Vista, CA . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 01/2010 Current
Certified Nursing Assistant
. . . Honors: National Nursing Assistant's Week 2012 Certificate of Appreciation.
. . . One bullet point center around your accomplishments and results.AFFILIATIONSToastmasters International ( Chula Vista 108), <dates?>COMMUNITY SERVICEKaiser Permanente Immunization Drive, volunteer.
Freddy's Angels Community Outreach Program, volunteer.
Volunteer <number> hours at Philippine Nurses Association of San Diego ( PNASD ) FilAm Festival to gain experience in First Aid, Health Screening & Community Awareness.
- 0May 18, '13 by MissM.RNProper bed making? Patient interaction?? Those are not skills. Every human being involved in the nursing profession should know how to make a bed with hospital corners/draw sheets and be pleasant/polite with patients. Only list skills if they are relatively special and/or unusual for all nurses to have - say dropping NGT, telemetry certification, giving chemo, etc.
- 0May 18, '13 by hopeseeker23im not sure about throwing out unrelevant employment because i heard that they still count because it shows your versatility or being all around? am i right? okay...now im CONFUSED..now about those SKILLS, this is my first time to apply as a nurse so where on earth do i get those skills??? i mean yeah, in the nursing school but it didn't give us much
- 0May 18, '13 by itsnoworneverQuote from hopeseeker23Not throw them out as much as take out all the description- everyone knows what a cashier or customer service rep does. Skills? Did you get a special certification? As a student did you do chemo? Blood often? Extra ordinary amount of IVs?im not sure about throwing out unrelevant employment because i heard that they still count because it shows your versatility or being all around? am i right? okay...now im CONFUSED..now about those SKILLS, this is my first time to apply as a nurse so where on earth do i get those skills??? i mean yeah, in the nursing school but it didn't give us much
Posting from my phone, ease forgive my fat thumbs!
- 0May 18, '13 by avaloncarI know for me the best resources is for you to go to your school and ask someone to help you with your resume. Next google, nurse resume, there are a lot of website that explain to you how to have a concise resume where you still get your point across. It is a good resume, but you do need to shorten it. You should keep your employment history but just list all your employment under "employment". The recruiter will know what is relevant, although your customer service jobs are very relevant to nursing. Hope I helped.
- 0May 18, '13 by hopeseeker23Quote from itsnoworneverokay let me just list everything that i did from nursing schoolNot throw them out as much as take out all the description- everyone knows what a cashier or customer service rep does. Skills? Did you get a special certification? As a student did you do chemo? Blood often? Extra ordinary amount of IVs?
Posting from my phone, ease forgive my fat thumbs!
Assessments: head to toe, neurovascular, neurological
Care of pt. with Peg tubes, G tubes
use of Protective device e.g limb, vests, mittens
assist in admission, discharge, transfer , hospice care (as a cna)
crash cart check
weighing pt: bedscale,w/c, standing
check for placement residual of g tube
catheterization ( ONLY IN LAB) no oppurtunity in clinicals
male external cath
Inhalation tx- pulse oximetry testing, incentive spirometer, o2 cannula, mask, Tracheostomy care
chest drainage care ( i had a patient once as cna)
special beds, thermal pads, cradles, compression stockings , thrombo stockings
placement of hearing aid,
isolations ( mostly cdiff pts.)
specimen collections: urine, feces, sputum, blood withdrawal ( check ph & guiac tests)
wound care- dressing change,sterile dry dressing, soaks, compresses, irrigations& packings, wet to dry, tube/ drain dressing, peg dressing, staple removal, use of steristrips
assist walking devices, CPM, Ice packs, abductor pillow
IV CERTIFIED ( we didnt do this at nursing school because it's out of scope)
all types of injections in LAB
PO,PEG ,NG TUBE MEDS
care of pt. with AV shunts, bruit, thrill, dialysis ( more as cna/ but i had some cases too)
i dont have enough background with chemo drugs i had more on antibiotics, pain meds since we did meds more often during Medsurg..i also have more background with immunizations since i gave them to hundreds of people in one of my volunteer works..
now are these skills enough or not enough??? i mean im not a pro at doing all of them..also i listed a lot of them and i dont know which among them are unnecessary.. i also need help with identifying the proper words to describe my skills...
i will appreciate all your help