I have to say thank you very much for the critique. I have had many people look at my resume and cover letter and no one was ever honest enough like this. They mostly corrected my spelling and suggest a few pointers but this was very very helpful and straight to the point. I don't mind the pain of it all
I have pretty much followed a majority of the things many of you said, I mean I am still in the process of fixing it to be as perfect as it can be but so far this is what I have for both. I hope the cover letter is more appealing.
First, I pretty much just took out all the information regarding my clinical rotations and just listed it. I always thought it was pretty long anyways. I just left my senior practicum since that is one of the mains. Instead I added some of the things I did in my cover letter instead.
i know you were sayin to remove the objective from the resume. And I wouldnt mind doing that. but I also made up another one, hoping for it to be stronger and better than the first.
I hope your job search
will also pay off. There are times when I try and find a name for the letter and to no luck.
Anyway, so if you guys are willling to look at my corrected resume and cover letter again. I really very much appreciate it. And any new people who can give me more pointers. No harm in being honest with your opinion. While I perfect my resume. I am trying to get better at my interviewing skills also. Thank you guys again for you input.
So I pasted my resume and cover letter below
To build upon my knowledge and skills to develop into the best nurse I could become and gain new experiences in providing high quality care.
California State University, Los Angeles (CSULA)
Bachelor of Science in Nursing. Graduation: December 2011
Major GPA: 3.5
- Emergency Department KP Panorama City Medical Center 110 hours
- Performed nursing responsibilities for 1-3 patients requiring acute/urgent care
under the supervision of a preceptor.
- Assisted RN with admittance and discharge of patients based on severity of illness.
Student Nurse June 2009- December 2011
KP Los Angeles Medical Center 60 hours
KP Panorama Medical Center 60 hours
Los Angeles County of DPH 60 hours
Boys & Girls Club of San Fernando 60 hours
KP Los Angeles Medical Center 90 hours
Huntington Memorial Hospital 90 hours
White Memorial Hospital 90 hours
Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center 90 hours
Glendale Memorial Hospital 90 hours
Los Angeles County/USC Medical Center 90 hours
Rancho Los Amigos Rehabilitation 90 hours
- Registered Nurse, California Expires June 2013
- Advance Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Expires April 2014
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Expires October 2012
- Electrocardiography and Pharmacology Expires February 2014
- Fluent in Tagalog.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications. 75 WPM.
File Clerk/Data Entry Dentist-On-Call, Van Nuys, CA October 2009-present
- Created a systematic way to write down billing information and organize
files needed for the week's assignments.
Customer Service Associate Fry's Electronics, Burbank, CA July 2007- January 2008
- Responsible for serving customers, performing sales and processing payments.
Alpha Tau Delta (ATD), member June 2011-present Nightingale Society, member March 2009-December 2011
- Decoration and fundraising committee
National Student Nurses Association (NSNA), member September 2010-December 2011
March of Dimes March 2011
Midnight Mission of Los Angeles Soup Kitchen May 2011
Clinical Care Extender- Valley Presbyterian Hospital 2006-2007
Assisted nurses with patient care such as taking vitals, communicating with
patients, feedings, and completing errands.
April 15, 2012
To Whom It May Concern,
I am responding to your recent job listing for Loma Linda University Medical Center offering the opportunity to be a part of the RN Residency in Pediatrics program.
I completed a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing on December 2011. My experience and education have provided me with the knowledge to be able to practice patient care and use relevant skills to be an effective team member. I have had over 900 hours of clinical rotations in various hospital units which included Medical/Surgical, Critical Care, Obstetrics, and Pediatrics. Not only have I been taught various nursing skills such as medication administration, IV insertion, dressing changes and the nursing process, which I can offer if, accepted to the program. I have also listed a few accomplishments I have done during nursing school. These accomplishments illustrate my independence, also being a part of a team and determination to teach a subject which will prove to be a positive contribution to the patients and hospital.
- Developed an education/update for Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) PowerPoint.
- Assessed a community to determine actual/potential problems and proposed a plan outlining intervention strategies, short-term and long-term to improve community.
- Educated dozens of school-aged children regarding nutrition, exercise, hand washing, dental hygiene and sports safety.
- Presented information about Asthma to a group for further learning of the signs and symptoms, prevention and treatment.
I believe that I can help achieve Loma Linda's mission to the community of enriching lives through the healing and teaching ministry of Jesus Christ. I am dedicated to the field of nursing and to providing high quality care for Loma Linda.
I welcome the opportunity to discuss with you personally more about the opportunity and how I can best serve your hospital. Thank you for your consideration, time and patience.